Discuss Extending Circuits????..... in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

L

ldworks

Hi all, I have 2 customers who need there boards extended which is fine when it comes to the tails as 3mtre tails are easy to get but when it comes to the circuits themselves is it ok to extend circuits with crimp connectors?or other means?Dont really like using crimp connectors as it looks really bad (even though they are an engineered connection). Suitable ways of extending circuits are not exactly explained and if its ok to do it for every circuit?My theory is as long as the circuits stay within testing perimeters that its ok?Help!!

What's wrong with using crimps, when crimped with a correct crimping tool? They are recognised by BS7671 as a mechanical joint and are quick and convenient. As long as the crimp joint is either sleeved with heatshrink or contained in a suitable enclosure there should be no problem at all. If however, like some on this forum, you really can't bring yourself to use crimps try WAGO connectors or similar.
As you say if tests are fine no problem with extended circuits.

Crimps in heatshrink are ok.

Ideally wagos or dinrail mounted connectors in an enclosure if possible.

Sorry if this seems curt but this is the billionth time this has been asked this week.

it's ok, i got a job lot of red and black tape cheap off the car boot. bit of heat shrink over the top, nobody knows. sssshhhhh

depending if the customer will pay for your time, it's good to try and run a new feed to the nearest socket or light fitting, that way no joint required. But otherwise no problem with crimps.

Hi! all,
I've just asked a similar question. My tutor told me that pre-insulated crimps should only be used on stranded cable, as the compression of the crimping tool can cut into the conductor causing a weak joint.
I can see the theory behind it, but I know of loads of guy that use them
These WAGO connectors seem to be the way to go, but it's not always that easy to fit them in.

Reply to Extending Circuits????..... in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net