Discuss Extending Imperial Pyro in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

I would love to extend using MICC however a, the customer won’t pay for it, b, the installation method doesn’t warrant it as it will be in trunking.
If it’s in trunking then why don’t you use singles rather than t&e?

If it’s in trunking then why don’t you use singles rather than t&e?
I could but I already have T&E. Zs on circuit is good and T&E is fine for adiabatic, no bonding to worry about as it’s a distribution circuit.

It's super fun, though I've only had the chance to do it once in a house on a 2L4 that got damaged by a builder waving his circular saw around.
;)
Interesting.
In earlier days with the stuff, the only circular saws were fixed to the floor in a joiners shop.

That's the more fun option! For extra super fun, extend the cable with MI by silver soldering the conductors then a brass sleeve over the joint filling it with magnesium oxide powder as you slide it over. I wonder if Pyrotenax still make the sleeves for this type of joint?

You can still get the brass joint sleeves, but I wasn't aware that pyrotenax had ever recommended filling them with powder?
All of the literature i've seen for them say each end should be potted as usual and no filling of any type was advised for the joint sleeve.
[automerge]1578855338[/automerge]
Depends on situation. As a rule it's swa feeding a DB, especially considering the situation and earth required.

Could really push the boat out and get some more MICC. ;)

For a couple of metres steel conduit and singles would be my preferred option usually.
[automerge]1578855581[/automerge]
I could but I already have T&E. Zs on circuit is good and T&E is fine for adiabatic, no bonding to worry about as it’s a distribution circuit.

Personally I still wouldn't reduce the cpc by so much when it's easy enough to maintain it at its current size.
But then I wouldn't use T&E anyway as I know that anyone else seeing it afterwards will call it rough and label me as a bodge artist.

Last edited:
You can still get the brass joint sleeves, but I wasn't aware that pyrotenax had ever recommended filling them with powder?
All of the literature i've seen for them say each end should be potted as usual and no filling of any type was advised for the joint sleeve.
I think you are thinking about the kits that require pots and glands to be fitted to each cable? I am thinking of where the conductors are jointed end on and the brass tube is only a little bigger than the cable, not requiring any pots or glands. I can't find my Pyrotenax handbook right now to scan in. The procedure looks quite fiddly fun. I want to have a go.

I think you are thinking about the kits that require pots and glands to be fitted to each cable? I am thinking of where the conductors are jointed end on and the brass tube is only a little bigger than the cable, not requiring any pots or glands. I can't find my Pyrotenax handbook right now to scan in. The procedure looks quite fiddly fun. I want to have a go.

Yes thats the only sleeves I've ever seen or used. I dont think I've ever seen any reference to tube like that for jointing, that sounds more like the lead sleeve joints for PILC cables.

For a couple of metres steel conduit and singles would be my preferred option usually.
[automerge]1578855581[/automerge]
That just depends on what access to run you have. It might be above a ceiling and through a wall, which, in an existing kitchen such as this, it could well be.

Seriously? Extending MICC with T&E?
If there is a much heat as you said, T&E is not the first choice for me. I have a done a lot of kitchen referbs in hotels and schools pubs even a nuclear power station.
if possible I would use steel conduit or some 2x2” steel trucking. with singles or even better would be to run the new cable away from head source all together.

Yes thats the only sleeves I've ever seen or used. I dont think I've ever seen any reference to tube like that for jointing, that sounds more like the lead sleeve joints for PILC cables.
Found the book. It is referred to as a brazed butt joint, no good for different sized cables though:
pg1.jpgPG2.jpg

Reply to Extending Imperial Pyro in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net