Discuss Extending socket fronts & switches in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

E

eskimo39

Hi, a neighour is installing a stud wall over an existing wall to allow sound proofing to be put in between.

They have asked if I can move all their existing sockets and switches outwards to fit on the new wall, however upon inspection there is not enough wire to allow this.

Will I have to quote for a full rewire or am I able to extend the cables using terminal blocks insite the switch boxes, with an additional 8" of cable to the plate?

Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Many Thanks

Not sure on terminal blocks really unless they will be accessible for inspection at a later date.

I would use through crimps, or better still, solder and heat shrink.

Cant you pull the back box out slightly and use 75mm screws to fix the socket face.
Thought about that but it is coming out about 150mm to allow soundproofing.

Solder and heatshrink seems possible. Will dust off the old gas iron.

Cheers

Hey Guys..

Im not sure if soundproofing could be a fire risk as in a bit inexperienced at the min as i dont know what its made up of.. But i'd make sure you test the circuit off after the work has been completed just to make sure the joint has little resistance, as a bad joint leads to heat build-up, and with it been surrounded by sound proofing, may slightly be a fire risk. Just a thaught..

you do need to ensure that the sound-proofing is not insulating and so derating the cable .

If the sockets are on a ring main, you could crimp the end ones and rewire the middle ones and it probably be a quicker job, run new t&e between then at least only 2XS/O,s are crimped.
Lighting i would put on a J/B and put a faster fix dry line box in then if you ever need to get to it again its not a problem, infact you could do that with the S/O,s as well.

Reply to Extending socket fronts & switches in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock