Discuss Extension Leads in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

TheTwist

DIY
Reaction score
I am always extremely cautious with working with anything that involves with electricity. Was wondering if anyone can help and give advice to these with these questions to help calm the anxiety.

• First is how much load can i put through 1 extension lead? I know each of them can have different amp fuses. But it would be useful to have a table of some sort. Does it depend of how many Watts from the compliance?
  • Next what are your thoughts of running an extension lead over a door frame? Will health and safety approve?
  • Lastly, this one question goes in within the first question and I know we shouldn't do this. but if someone was to "daisy chain" 2 extensions temporarily am i right it should be calculated to 1 connected to the mains?

Lots of info for the homeowner on this website, not just on this issue.

Thank you for that. I wasn't only referring to my home use if i am honest...

Thank you for that. I wasn't only referring to my home use if i am honest...
Ah ok

I am always extremely cautious with working with anything that involves with electricity. Was wondering if anyone can help and give advice to these with these questions to help calm the anxiety.

• First is how much load can i put through 1 extension lead? I know each of them can have different amp fuses. But it would be useful to have a table of some sort. Does it depend of how many Watts from the compliance?
  • Next what are your thoughts of running an extension lead over a door frame? Will health and safety approve?
  • Lastly, this one question goes in within the first question and I know we shouldn't do this. but if someone was to "daisy chain" 2 extensions temporarily am i right it should be calculated to 1 connected to the mains?
  • The max is 13A as that is the biggest fuse that can be used in the plug top. The cable and sockets on the lead will be rated for this load
  • Not great really but if secured with proper cable clips it should not really present any hazards. A permanent solution should really be looked at to provide extra sockets where needed.
  • Again the max current draw will be 13A in total no matter how many are daisy chained as that is the max fuse in the end plugged into the wall. This should be avoided though if possible.
What's plugged into this theoretical arrangement ? ?

Ah ok

• The max is 13A as that is the biggest fuse that can be used in the plug top. The cable and sockets on the lead will be rated for this load
  • Not great really but if secured with proper cable clips it should not really present any hazards. A permanent solution should really be looked at to provide extra sockets where needed.
  • Again the max current draw will be 13A in total no matter how many are daisy chained as that is the max fuse in the end plugged into the wall. This should be avoided though if possible.
What's plugged into this theoretical arrangement ? ?

Okay thank you. So I have 10 PC's with 1,000 Watts power which are on 24/7 run at its max power for CPU rendering. I have split it into 4 per each 13 amp extension. I have managed to get hold of a electrician to come in during next week to check before i start them up.

If i want to calculate how many amps come do i right a watts divide volts?

Okay thank you. So I have 10 PC's with 1,000 Watts power which are on 24/7 run at its max power for CPU rendering. I have split it into 4 per each 13 amp extension. I have managed to get hold of a electrician to come in during next week to check before i start them up.

Are you mining for bit coins by any chance?

Yes, current = power/voltage
So Amps = Watts/Volts
So 1000/230 = 4.35A
4.35 x 4 = 17.4A so maybe not put 4 x 1000W PSUs on one 13A lead

Get the place properly kitted out for your requirements.

Please make sure you are not using any extension leads that are coiled too. Have seen this before where a company had computers doing visual 3d renders which took over a day to draw. We told them they should uncoil the extension leads. They ignored us. The leads caught fire. They were renting office space above a factory. We were there rewiring the factory after it had been gutted by fire. The factory owners were not best pleased at this turn of events.

I = P/V So 1000/230=4.3 Amps you say you have 10 KW of load so 43 Amps if you intend running all these loads from a daisy chained lead system, It aint going to work
[automerge]1569000447[/automerge]
Yes, current = power/voltage
So Amps = Watts/Volts
So 1000/230 = 4.35A
4.35 x 4 = 17.4A so maybe not put 4 x 1000W PSUs on one 13A lead

Get the place properly kitted out for your requirements.

Please make sure you are not using any extension leads that are coiled too. Have seen this before where a company had computers doing visual 3d renders which took over a day to draw. We told them they should uncoil the extension leads. They ignored us. The leads caught fire. They were renting office space above a factory. We were there rewiring the factory after it had been gutted by fire. The factory owners were not best pleased at this turn of events.
Get the impression from the OP that the intension is to daisy chain the extension leads, hope I'm wrong though.

I think he means 1kw total not 10 at 1kw each.

Reply to Extension Leads in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock