Discuss Exterior Lights - Spots/Floods for lighting up trees in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

SparkyChick

Staff member
Mod
Mentor
Esteemed
Arms
Supporter
Patron
Reaction score
Hi all,

One of my regular customers has a requirement for some directional lighting. He'd like to light up some trees from the house, so we're looking for some kind (preferably LED) of directional exterior lighting that can achieve good illumination with a spread of around 30' at a distance of approximately 35m.

I've had a good look around the web, and have had my regular wholesaler do some digging but we've not managed to come up with anything that looks like it will do the job.

Does anyone have any suggestions, preferably based on experience of using the products?

Thanks

SC

Have you tried looking at Pulsar lights? They may well be outside of the budget your client has in mind but they are pretty awesome and incredibly robust.

We had some in a studio at the place I used to work and they were amazing. I'm not sure they make the same models any more but the ones we had could be controlled by DMX or set using a small LCD screen on the back.

This is the kind of thing:

ChromaBeam - Narrow Beam LED Spotlight Family | Pulsar - http://pulsarlight.com/products/chroma-range/chroma-beam/

They do a variety of models with different beam angles and I'm sure could advise on the exact requirements.

@FatAlan , Thanks. I did try a few and the ones I found were mostly the same sort of things I can get from other suppliers, walk over lights, spike lights, bollards etc. My calculations suggest I need a beam angle of around 16 degrees, nearly everything I've been able to find is nowhere near that.

@sam400 , Thanks. Originally we were talking about having spike lights around the trees, but he's been there before and they ended up getting chopped off/damaged during grounds maintenance. Also he's not keen on having the garden dug up, so we're looking at mounting them on the house which is where the 35m distance comes in. Pics look great, nice job :)

@Jim_e_Jib , Thanks. To put it into perspective... his pool house has a larger footprint than my home, he bought a tractor just to mow the meadow he owns next to his house (and then proceeded to strip the tractor down and rebuild it himself)... in short, he's not short of a bob or two having been a founder of a company that is a world leader in the opto-electronics industry :) Having looked at the ChromaBeam you suggested, the beam angle is a little small, but they do have some lights with a beam angle of 25 degrees which will probably do the trick, so I'll be dropping them an email.

@Midwest , Thanks. Just had a look and they seem to be much the same as what I've been able to find so far in that the beam angle is quite large.

I'm not sure you'll find something powerful enough to light a tree up from 35m, with a beam angle of 16 degrees. I guess most will be floodlights, which usually have a beam angle of around 120 degrees.

I'd be going for walkover lights in the ground. Possibly something like Collingwood GL040.

16 degrees is pretty narrow, it might be easiest to use whatever LED flood you'd normally fit with a hood to control the beam. For example, if you use a 110mm black soil pipe (internal 102mm) and put the lamp 363mm from the end you'll get a 16 degree spread. You'd also be able to adjust the spread by moving the lamp in the pipe.

If you can't handle people thinking you're a plumber in Electricfix, just say you're buying for a friend.

Last edited:
@FatAlan , Thanks. I did try a few and the ones I found were mostly the same sort of things I can get from other suppliers, walk over lights, spike lights, bollards etc. My calculations suggest I need a beam angle of around 16 degrees, nearly everything I've been able to find is nowhere near that.

@sam400 , Thanks. Originally we were talking about having spike lights around the trees, but he's been there before and they ended up getting chopped off/damaged during grounds maintenance. Also he's not keen on having the garden dug up, so we're looking at mounting them on the house which is where the 35m distance comes in. Pics look great, nice job :)

@Jim_e_Jib , Thanks. To put it into perspective... his pool house has a larger footprint than my home, he bought a tractor just to mow the meadow he owns next to his house (and then proceeded to strip the tractor down and rebuild it himself)... in short, he's not short of a bob or two having been a founder of a company that is a world leader in the opto-electronics industry :) Having looked at the ChromaBeam you suggested, the beam angle is a little small, but they do have some lights with a beam angle of 25 degrees which will probably do the trick, so I'll be dropping them an email.

@Midwest , Thanks. Just had a look and they seem to be much the same as what I've been able to find so far in that the beam angle is quite large.
Sounds like a very good customer to have!

Perhaps you could persuade them to go for a little DMX lighting controller and programme up some different scenes?!

Depending on where the lights are sited, you might be able to use some kind of modifier - barn doors would control spill from the wider beam or a filter frame with something like brushed silk to widen the narrower beam in one plane:

228 Brushed Silk Lighting Gel - https://www.stagedepot.co.uk/lighting/lighting-gel/diffusion/228-brushed-silk-lighting-gel-1#horizontalTab1

Edit: @Shoei 's suggestion of a DIY 'Snoot' sounds like a good idea!

Last edited:
Ansell Colossus. but watch out for jumbo jets landing in the garden.

Hi @SparkyChick have you considered to use solar lighting??? Recently I’ve just done a solar lighting job to illuminate the exterior of a house.

I wouldn't entertain solar lighting for this particular installation. The mounting locations preclude ready access for maintenance. Also, I'm not convinced it would be possible given the distances involved and the seemingly high power consumption of units capable of achieving it.

Thanks for all the input guys, I provided some advice to the client based on what had been suggested. As to what happened with it, I don't know. At the time, they were having their kitchen redone, that included the electrical work carried out by the kitchen companies contractor who I believe were going to handle it.

Will find out though as I have some work to do there soon :)

Reply to Exterior Lights - Spots/Floods for lighting up trees in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock