Discuss External earth fault loop impedance Ze in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

V

voltage

Hi all

Just checking this procedure is correct for Ze

This is a live test so with the consumer unti front off i would lock off main switch keep RCDs on and all MCBs on.

Dissconnect the main earth.

Now on the megger 1553 i would set it to no trip and use the 3 lead method ?

So green lead croc clipped to main earth

then using the red lead as a probe put this on line
and using the black lead as a probe put this on neutral

then take the reading ? repaeat test for good practice record result then reconnect main earth ?

is this the correct procedure on how you would carry out this test ?
many thanks volt.

It can also be done with just 2 leads (without the neutral as long as you are before any rcd) - clever things these meggers :)

ahh right well i will be before any RCD so

so what setting would the megger need to be on ? Hi loop ?
Then use green lead with croc clip on for main earth
Then use red lead as probe for live
test
then repeat putting red probe on neutral and test ?

The setup on consumer unit is main switch 100amp then RCD then 4 MCBs spare way then second RCD then 3 MCBs then 2 spare ways.

Last edited by a moderator:
ahh right well i will be before any RCD so

so what setting would the megger need to be on ? Hi loop ?
Then use green lead with croc clip on for main earth
Then use red lead as probe for live
test
then repeat putting red probe on neutral and test ?

The setup on consumer unit is main switch 100amp then RCD then 4 MCBs spare way then second RCD then 3 MCBs then 2 spare ways.

not the highlighted bit.

voltage, you've got it , by jove. 2 lead or 3 lead on hi. don't forget though that the next test, for pfc requires the eart lead to be reconnected.

Reply to External earth fault loop impedance Ze in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net