Discuss external fcu question in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Gavin John Hyde

-
Esteemed
Arms
Patron
Reaction score
Got a job coming up need to install a fcu coming of a RFC in an adjoining office room to power a light circuit. the light circuit will be in a large greenhouse with lots of water being sprayed for the plants and flowers so need suitable IP rating, albeit the FCU will be out of direct contact with water, just covering all bases so using IP66
Looking at BG 13 FCU w/ Neon - https://www.screwflix..com/p/bg-13-fcu-w-neon/27437

Anybody used these? and had any issues getting a 1.5mm 3 core swa with gland in and terminating properly?

Cheers @SparkyChick I expect it will be fine for a small swa gland, you got what looks like a 20mm nylon one in there without too much difficulty and the sizings are alike for the switch enclosure.
I got a couple of methods to get the job done, just planning it out before hand.

Stuffing glands are not meant for cord restraint, I guarantee I could pull that out.

Stuffing glands are not meant for cord restraint, I guarantee I could pull that out.
with sparkychick's wicked feminine wiles, she's probably used gorilla glue. in any case that's not the issue. that gland should have been grey or black, not white. :D:D:D.

True.

Hi - I have done this (but not sure it was BG) and there's 2 things from memory ... the usual swa gland with plastics (use 2 nuts and banjo or piranha) ... and it is all a bit of a close fit but should work (mock up first?).

Hi - I have done this (but not sure it was BG) and there's 2 things from memory ... the usual swa gland with plastics (use 2 nuts and banjo or piranha) ... and it is all a bit of a close fit but should work (mock up first?).
I will do a mock up before wall mounting and messing around with knockouts etc... worse case will be I will use a IP66 box next to the FCU and run a small bit of flexicon between them, I shall terminate the swa into this and run the cores minus armour through conduit to the FCU. It will deal with the space in the enclosure as i know they can be a bit tight with the swa glands. Havent used the BG ip66 FCU before as my usual supplier no longer has any of the ones i would usually use.

Regarding the lining up of the edged... I concur they don't line up, however, it's a choice between cut a hole or use the ones provided... and guess what.... none of the ones provided would have allowed for it to line up.

With regards to restraint... I can't recall whether I put a cable tie on the inside. But regardless, I need to learn something today, so what should you use for that situation?

I generally like the BG outdoor stuff, but the FCU is awful. I used one once, but the flexible membrane eventually goes sticky and opaque. Plus, you can't replace the fuse without taking the whole thing apart.
I now take one of their single sockets and replace the socket plate with a FCU one.

external fcu question IMG_1548 - Copy.JPG - EletriciansForums.net

with sparkychick's wicked feminine wiles, she's probably used gorilla glue. in any case that's not the issue. that gland should have been grey or black, not white. :D:D:D.

Don't :)

I went to do the final connections on a kitchen remodel I did the electrics for... panicked when the customer told me they had a snagging list. It went like this:-

1. Faceplate on upside down
2. You've used black cable ties on the white trunking

:D It was all I had and I needed to stop the top popping off due to a bend in the re-routed tails. And I should add... it was in the garage :)

I can pull a flex out of any cord restraint you care to use.
Without seeing the full environment how can you know what strength of cord restraint is required?

Stuffing glands are provided as the means of cord restraint on a variety of trailing plugs, sockets and IP rated cable joints, are all of those manufacturers wrong?

I generally like the BG outdoor stuff, but the FCU is awful. I used one once, but the flexible membrane eventually goes sticky and opaque. Plus, you can't replace the fuse without taking the whole thing apart.
I now take one of their single sockets and replace the socket plate with a FCU one.

View attachment 41853
I know with the BG stuff the bodies are largely the same but you can swap accessories around if you want.
I have actually just seen on the Denmans website when ordering some other stuff for next week that they stock the empty outdoor accessory box which you can put a fcu, socket, switch etc in. doesnt have the membrane front either. i will have a look when in on Monday. only £7.48 + vat
external fcu question upload_2018-4-20_17-58-30 - EletriciansForums.net

Reply to external fcu question in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock