Discuss External lighting fault in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Fault on external lighting roughly 12 lights around a building, RCBO tripping, my tester only goes to 200 Megger Ohms
L-N is 0 Megger
N-E is greater than 200 Megger
L-E is greater than 200 Megger
LN-E is 150 Megger

Now tested insulation from board and roughly found the middle light with 1 cable so must be joint boxes somewhere I can’t find, went to a light further and found a joint box and tested each leg and was getting near to no Megger Ohms on each side, any further ideas?

short, water, cable fault. test everyting and then find the fault.

Yes looks like the plan of action,
now I’m getting L-N 0 Megger could this be cause of lamps/ballasts still connected giving false readings?
Looks like I’ll be testing and bypassing each fitting

Fault on external lighting roughly 12 lights around a building, RCBO tripping, my tester only goes to 200 Megger Ohms
L-N is 0 Megger
N-E is greater than 200 Megger
L-E is greater than 200 Megger
LN-E is 150 Megger

Now tested insulation from board and roughly found the middle light with 1 cable so must be joint boxes somewhere I can’t find, went to a light further and found a joint box and tested each leg and was getting near to no Megger Ohms on each side, any further ideas?
Are all the lamps/bulbs disconnected when you are testing? 0 mega ohms could be a dead short or it could be some value less than 1 mega ohm.

was tryin gto help but the beer taken over, snd it s tinme for my hbeddibyes accordonf to nursie,

Are all the lamps/bulbs disconnected when you are testing? 0 mega ohms could be a dead short or it could be some value less than 1 mega ohm.
There all still connected, there’s something like 12 lights and was getting 0 Megger at the board L-N and when tested at light in the middle of circuit something like 0.06 Megger

If the luminaires are still connected you cannot obtain a line/neutral reading, forget that. If you are 100% certain the neutral is isolated at the dist board and you are getting zero meg to earth then you need to break down the circuit to find the fault.

If the luminaires are still connected you cannot obtain a line/neutral reading, forget that. If you are 100% certain the neutral is isolated at the dist board and you are getting zero meg to earth then you need to break down the circuit to find the fault.
Thanks, and was only 0 Megger L-N, all others were off the scale so all good must of been cause I left al lamps in, need to open all fittings and go from there, thanks again

Thanks, and was only 0 Megger L-N, all others were off the scale so all good must of been cause I left al lamps in, need to open all fittings and go from there, thanks again

It might be an idea to learn how to test correctly before you damage installed equipment or your tester with your haphazard attempts at testing.

Only been testing on 250v sorry mr know it all

You were carrying out the test incorrectly regardless of what voltage you tested at,my point still stands. Testing at 250V instead of 500V just further proves that you don't understand the test you are carrying out.

I don't know it all or expect anyone else to know it all, but I do expect an electrician to know the basics of the science of electricity and understand insulation resistance testing.

i first do a continuity test L-N to see if there are any loads connected. sometimes there may be a neon switch will read something like 23K ohms. ( or is it 2.3 K, i forget, bloody dementia)

Being a bit harsh in your reply there Bradley, I sent you a PM which you haven't responded to, trying to help you with your terminology, a thanks would be nice, but not holding my breath, for a reply anytime soon.

I ap
i first do a continuity test L-N to see if there are any loads connected. sometimes there may be a neon switch will read something like 23K ohms. ( or is it 2.3 K, i forget, bloody dementia)
all loads are still connected they all have emergency back up too, so L-N I’m getting 0, have done LN-E and getting over range, all I can do is take the rest of fitting apart and bypass all circuitry or go to one in middle and re test there but will possibly give me same readings

if you can't diss. all loads then a L-N test is pointless. as in:

Reply to External lighting fault in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock