Advertisement - Content continues below

Discuss External metering enclosure in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:  American Electrical Advice Forum

Folks
Could you suggest an fused isolator of choice, to install in a recessed external metering cubicle, in a domestic installation, this will be required to terminate a 25mm SWA
I am unsure of how much space I can utilise of the standard enclosure, not to encroach on the DNO cut-out and meter installation

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Not quite sure, tried to ring ,but only got as far as the telephone gestapo, reading out the cubicle size required
info I already have

Charlie_

-
Arms
Well, unfortunately the gestapo don’t allow any equipment in their enclosures apart from their own..
You will need to install an extra enclosure for your kit or have the isolator internal near enough back to back with their meter

ChrisElectrical88

-
Mentor
Arms
Esteemed
In Norwich and Wales, i have been allowed to install a enclosure inside the meter cupboard. Once you get through to the right person and explain they have been happy. To give me the go ahead via email.

telectrix

-
Mentor
Arms
Esteemed
seen loads of installs, done in 80's and 90's where isolators have been fitted in meter cabinets at new build stage. as long as there's room, bung one in.

D

Deleted member 26818

I love the way DNO’s believe they can dictate what you can put into your property.

D

Deleted member 26818

Good plan, until they say OK we'll just remove our equipment from your property.
This all boils down to whether you are willing to stand your ground, and how far you are willing to take it.
The DNOs have no real grounds to refuse to allow an isolator or switchfuse in a meter cupboard.
In fact if you are willing to pay them, I bet they would be quite happy to install one for you.

mattg4321

-
Arms
Esteemed
I've installed loads. As long as you're sensible and leave room for them to fit their equipment I've never had a problem.

mattg4321

-
Arms
Esteemed
Tend to use the Wylex switchfuse. Have used the Lewden one in the past - its a bit cheaper. However I think its crap in comparison.

freddo

-
Arms
Supporter
Esteemed
I have a din enclosure with main switch and 2 HRC fuseholders in mine, it fills the box nicely leaving no room for a smart meter.

ipf

-
Mentor
Arms
Esteemed
Well, unfortunately the gestapo don’t allow any equipment in their enclosures apart from their own..
You will need to install an extra enclosure for your kit or have the isolator internal near enough back to back with their meter
You could get them to provide one...…..I wonder where they would put it?;)

CK Tools :) The professionals choice when it comes to Electrical Tools
This official sponsor may provide discounts for members

Reply to External metering enclosure in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Aico 3000 Range
This official sponsor may provide discounts for members

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
Top Bottom