Discuss External PIR to internal Lighting in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

Shnook

A few years ago, I visited a friends house who had his external PIR Activated Security Floodlight wired to his internal landing light. When his external lights were 'activated' his internal landing light would also come on adding an extra deterent giving the impression someone was home. I thought this was a good idea and would like to implement the same solution in my home. However, I do remember he mentioned that he did'nt think it was wired 'to code'.
Is this against any regulations and is it possible to wire it to a landing light that is on a two-way switch circuit ( Hall switch and Landing Switch)?
A local electrician is coming to do the work next week but he said in a telephone call that he doesnt think it can be done.
Can i t be done to a new/seperate landing light?

All comments appreciated

:confused:

Last edited by a moderator:
A few years ago, I visited a friends house who had his external PIR Activated Security Floodlight wired to his internal landing light. When his external lights were 'activated' his internal landing light would also come on adding an extra deterent giving the impression someone was home. I thought this was a good idea and would like to implement the same solution in my home. However, I do remember he mentioned that he did'nt think it was wired 'to code'.
Is this against any regulations and is it possible to wire it to a landing light that is on a two-way switch circuit ( Hall switch and Landing Switch)?
A local electrician is coming to do the work next week but he said in a telephone call that he doesnt think it can be done.

All comments appreciated

This can easily be done to a seperate landing light with a 4 core cable.

If you were to hook it up to your existing landing light then when you turned on your landing light with your switch your external fitting would also light.

Can't see this being against any regs so long as it is done properly.

All comments appreciated

There's not a reg problem doing it but would'nt it get right on your nerves if say next doors cat set it off every half hour

Hi Sintra, Thanks for taking the time to reply.
I have spoken to the my electrician again who echoed what you have said. No Problem with regs and easy to do with a new seperate 'landing' light. It may be possible to wire into existing 2-way circuit but only with some kind of 'switch over relay' (???) which sounds complicated to me and I believe in keeping things simple.

Monkeymagic made a valid comment regarding cats. I will probably pay £100 having a new landing light installed and wired up and then end up taking the bulb out !

Hi Sintra , probably being a dim but, why 4 core cable? Wouldn't just putting the new light in parallel with T&E work?

Hi Pushrod,

New External PIR light will require 1. Permanent feed. 2. Neutral. 3.cpc & 4 Switch wire back for landing light.

That's why i stated 4 core cable.

Morning guys,

I didnt see the point of recreating a new thread and therefore figured I would resurrect this old school one.

As the OP, I too would like something similar with a twinge. I am undecided between the following two setups:

1. External PIR with NO flood light but hallway light comes one when motion is detected after say a 5-10 second delay.

2. External PIR WITH flood light that sets off flood when motion is detected then turns on hallway light after 5 - 10 second delay.

To avoid any pet fires, ill get a decent PIR that can distinguish between pets and humans.

Are the above two scenarios possible?

Reply to External PIR to internal Lighting in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net