Discuss External socket for power tools to use in the garden. in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Goody

-
Reaction score
Hi, I am mounting a socket on the external wall for use in the garden. I am spurring off an existing ring in the kitchen, drilling the wall to thread through the 2.5 mm T&E cable for the socket.

What does “REG” say about this and what type of socket would be appropriate (socket should have its own fuse)?

Many thanks!

Edited: The ring is RCD protected and is this OK to present as a minor work for my assessment?

Last edited:
Is the ring protected by a RCD? ALL new sockets require RCD protection, don't forget to protect the cable throught the wall (20mm conduit is great for this), and its notifiable!

There is no requirement for the socket-outlet to have it's own fuse, just that it be RCD protected.
Not all socket-outlets require 30mA RCD protection, but in this case it must be provided without exception.
My understanding is that the minimum IP rating for a socket-outlet used outdoors is IP44.
Higher ratings may apply depending upon external influences.

Yes it will require notification, as you will be providing an outdoor connection point.
If the socket-outlet was indoors, and not in a special location then notification would not be required.

Reply to External socket for power tools to use in the garden. in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

Hi, just helping someone out and apologies for the long winded post. Would like install a couple of weatherproof double sockets on the patio. 1...
Replies
Views
Hi all, Just a quick one regarding the need for RCD protection for socket outlets rated up to and including 32A. I have been tasked to install...
Replies
Views
Hi all, Was wondering if you could help please. I'm looking to fit a BG IP66 external socket mainly for occasional jet wash/vacuum usage and...
Replies
Views
Hi, My first post so hopefully I am correct in posting it here. My question is, I am thinking of an IP rated outdoor socket for the back garden...
Replies
Views
Hi, I have lifetime experience (50+ years) in United States with basic knowledge of split phase 120/240 volts replacing wall switches and...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock