Discuss External surface wiring in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Dustydazzler

-
Esteemed
Arms
Supporter
Reaction score
So been to look at a job today, several lights to put up around the outside of a house.
there is already 1 light in situ I plan to use to supply the other lights.
no access to fish cables in the house so everything is going to be surface mounted Outside..
money is tight so conduit not an option.
i was thinking white flex clipped under soffit or twin and earth clipped in mortar join...

does anyone have a preferred method ?

FP cable P clipped is also another option possibly depending on money

So been to look at a job today, several lights to put up around the outside of a house.
there is already 1 light in situ I plan to use to supply the other lights.
no access to fish cables in the house so everything is going to be surface mounted Outside..
money is tight so conduit not an option.
i was thinking white flex clipped under soffit or twin and earth clipped in mortar join...

does anyone have a preferred method ?

FP cable P clipped is also another option possibly depending on money
Conduit would be cheaper in the long run than what you are proposing DD in my opinion.

Run the options past the client. Will probably be dependent on what they think looks best.

Run the options past the client. Will probably be dependent on what they think looks best.

they are happy with anything clipped direct.
i mentioned pvc conduit but they don’t want to pay for extra materials for the job.

is FP cable considered suitable for exterior clipped direct ?

they are happy with anything clipped direct.
i mentioned pvc conduit but they don’t want to pay for extra materials for the job.

is FP cable considered suitable for exterior clipped direct ?
Don't think FP cable is recognised by BS7671 as a general wiring cable, could be wrong best check yourself.

It also looks like it was done by DIY Dave.

there is already a load of sky cable , phone cable and old tv cable clipped around the house so what ever I do won’t look too bad :)
[automerge]1592412035[/automerge]
You cannot run flat T/E where it will be exposed to sunlight.My preferred method is Hi-tuf.

the last time I did a job in hi tuff I remember it being a right nightmare to strip the outer sheath...

there is already a load of sky cable , phone cable and old tv cable clipped around the house so what ever I do won’t look too bad :)
[automerge]1592412035[/automerge]

the last time I did a job in hi tuff I remember it being a right nightmare to strip the outer sheath...
Strikes me as though the client is running this project, and won't listen to your advicel, then do yourself a favour and tell the client to get someone else.

I would think the labour costings of chasing cable into the mortar joints and then repointing, would cost a whole lot more than using black PVC conduit.

Strikes me as though the client is running this project, if the client won't listen to you as a professional, then do yourself a favour and tell the client to get someone else.

I would think the labour costings of chasing cable into the mortar joints and then repointing, would cost a whole lot more than using black PVC conduit.

no chasing the mortar ,everything will be surface and clipped direct.
i mentioned using black pvc conduit but they don’t want to shell out for the extra materials.
its an old boy we know, so I’m happy to do a basic Job as money is tight...

no chasing the mortar ,everything will be surface and clipped direct.
i mentioned using black pvc conduit but they don’t want to shell out for the extra materials.
its an old boy we know, so I’m happy to do a basic Job as money is tight...
So are you not charging for labour, and is this a favour job for a mate??

more or less
[automerge]1592412933[/automerge]

that’s good to know , I remember I bought a drum of the stuff a few years ago and it was an absolute pig to strip
Not a fair price comparison, if you are doing a Mate a favour is it? will you be testing and issuing a certificate for the work.

Not a fair price comparison, if you are doing a Mate a favour is it? will you be testing and issuing a certificate for the work.

I always test my work, and issue A hand written mwc

i have a pad of old dual leaf mwc in my tester box

If you are not going to install a wiring system suitable for the environment then I see no point issuing a Certificate, it won't be worth the paper it is written on unless I am misreading this. The fact they cannot afford to have it correctly installed is irrelevant.

If you are not going to install a wiring system suitable for the environment then I see no point issuing a Certificate, it won't be worth the paper it is written on unless I am misreading this. The fact they cannot afford to have it correctly installed is irrelevant.

I want to do The best job on a tight budget...
Looks like Hi tuff is my best option , relatively inexpensive and I can get cut the exact amount I need so no waste

[automerge]1592417191[/automerge]
As an aside, is the existing circuit RCD protected?

i Can’t remember off the top of my head , I did some work at the house years ago and iirc was a 16th Ed split board, so lights would be on the non Rcd side.
might have to move the mcb over to the rcd side or fit an rcbo.

Flexishield is another option that is outdoor rated and fairly good at staying put once formed and clipped. You get it in white and black, so might be easier to get it to match.

Down side is I think you only get it on 100m reels, but handy stuff for other jobs as nail-safe if used on non-RCD circuts that might be < 50mm from wall surfaces, etc.

Reply to External surface wiring in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock