Discuss External wire box in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi all,

We recently moved into our flat and I am looking to tidy up the maze of cables we have on external walls. We have a box with quite a bit of wiring (see picture) and I am wondering if there is any possibility to figure out if it is used for anything or if it is not in use and can be removed.

There is one relatively big cable going in from the ground, then several white cables which lead to nothing and have been cut off, one other black cable which seem to go into the cellar through a vent and one which seems to connect to our virgin media cable (which consists of two cables). Do you have any idea what this is?

Many thanks for your help!
Jen

External wire box A78125DF-AFE7-4708-AEDA-20894E543B8A - EletriciansForums.net

Hi all,

We recently moved into our flat and I am looking to tidy up the maze of cables we have on external walls. We have a box with quite a bit of wiring (see picture) and I am wondering if there is any possibility to figure out if it is used for anything or if it is not in use and can be removed.

There is one relatively big cable going in from the ground, then several white cables which lead to nothing and have been cut off, one other black cable which seem to go into the cellar through a vent and one which seems to connect to our virgin media cable (which consists of two cables). Do you have any idea what this is?

Many thanks for your help!
Jen

View attachment 51236
From this perspective the box looks like telephones installation, although can't be sure a closer look is required, a member near you r location may offer to take a look, can you be ,ore precise with your location?

is virgin media still in use?

They look like data cables. The ones that have been cut of can be snipped out. But that could well be a BT multipair cable coming in so technically their property.

What’s written on the cover? BT and Virgin tend to put their names on things.

That looks BT you need to contact Openreach.

That incoming cable looks like a BT 25 pair.

Reply to External wire box in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock