Discuss External wiring of indoor sockets in a SIPs garden room. in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Redline8400

Trainee
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

First time post here. I've been tasked with wiring a garden office, but the customers would like the internal sockets and the electric heaters to be wired externally - between the SIPs panel and the external cladding - as they intend to keep the internal chipboard finish of the SIPS panels. I suggested using PVC conduit internally but they've been told it's possible to run it in the cavity between the cladding and the SIPs panels. What's the guidance on this? Permissible at all? If so is regular T&E still viable or would it have to be small armoured cable? All circuits to be protected with RCBOs. Thanks for the help!

Pascal

That is an interesting one. My interpretation of regs would be as follows.
You've got a situation where the cable will presumably be <50mm from the outside, but from the outside there are no surface mounted accessories visible to indicate zones, so I don't think it would be allowed to descend from the top 150mm. So I think you are pushed to the 522.6.202 list.
The biggest risk is the installation of the cladding and any future repairs. I guess you could find some 3mm mild steel capping for the cables. It might be easier to use small SWA or steel conduit if the battens for the cladding are deep enough.
Let's see what others think too!

Does the <50mm matter if it’s rcd protected?

Back to static caravans again. The internal walls of those are only 50mm thick, and there’s cables run in them. (T&E)

I’m sure the cavity will be packed with insulation, so that might be the main thought.

You can run <50mm if rcd protected in zones, the thinking being that there are visual clues the cable might be there.
I might be making too much of the zone argument but if you read the reg that allows <50mm rcd protected cable in a wall then vertical or horizontal runs are allowed to surface mounted accessories.
It’s an odd one but I don’t think running this on the outside between the Sips and the cladding meets the letter of the regs unless in the 150mm in the corners.

(As the sips panel is heavily insulated I’m not sure extra insulation is in the cavity)

Reply to External wiring of indoor sockets in a SIPs garden room. in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock