Discuss Extra Consumer Unit in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Mollymoo

DIY
Reaction score
Hi Everybody

I have to say before I ask that I will not be attempting this myself, I am asking if this is possible and if so I will find an Electrician to come and do the work for me.

In the image below I have the mains coming in, going through the meter then through a switch and off to the consumer unit as per the red arrow.
My question would be can I have another 25mm come out of the last switch and go to another consumer unit, a small one that would allow the fitting of a light and a couple of sockets in this shed. I don't know if you can do it at all with this switch or if I need a double switch or if it is impossible.

I will re-iterate at this point that this isn't something I would do myself, I would get a professional in, I just wan to know if it is possible before getting someone to price the job up.

Thank you for reading.
Extra Consumer Unit Electric - EletriciansForums.net

There may be a good chance that a feed would be able to come off an existing circuit(s). I would have thought that the electricians pricing the job would evaluate this for you.

My question would be can I have another 25mm come out of the last switch and go to another consumer unit, a small one that would allow the fitting of a light and a couple of sockets in this shed. I don't know if you can do it at all with this switch or if I need a double switch or if it is impossible
yes it can be done ,but not by you ,the spark will go through with it with you .

The professional you get in will be able to assess the current arrangements, more than can be gleaned from the picture, and your future plans and be able to inform you better as they have eyes on the job.

What I do get from that picture is a fair portion of anxiety though. You must move the forks of Damocles from above the service head and fuse or I'll not sleep tonight.

yes it can be done ,but not by you ,the spark will go through with it with you .
Thank you for the reply. As said I wouldn't go anywhere near it, changing a socket is my limit, I just needed to know if it's possible before I get my electrician in to assess it.
The professional you get in will be able to assess the current arrangements, more than can be gleaned from the picture, and your future plans and be able to inform you better as they have eyes on the job.

What I do get from that picture is a fair portion of anxiety though. You must move the forks of Damocles from above the service head and fuse or I'll not sleep tonight.
Ha I noticed that when I took the picture, they will be moved somewhere a bit safer.

Hi Everybody

I have to say before I ask that I will not be attempting this myself, I am asking if this is possible and if so I will find an Electrician to come and do the work for me.

In the image below I have the mains coming in, going through the meter then through a switch and off to the consumer unit as per the red arrow.
My question would be can I have another 25mm come out of the last switch and go to another consumer unit, a small one that would allow the fitting of a light and a couple of sockets in this shed. I don't know if you can do it at all with this switch or if I need a double switch or if it is impossible.

I will re-iterate at this point that this isn't something I would do myself, I would get a professional in, I just wan to know if it is possible before getting someone to price the job up.

Thank you for reading.
View attachment 52327
Your board is positively luxurious, I've not seen one so capacious in years.

not sure about whether that T/E cable feeding the CU is compliant. looks like at best a 10mm with a 6mm cpc. unless 1of these Gn?Y singles is an additional earthing conductor. is this in a flat?

not sure about whether that T/E cable feeding the CU is compliant. looks like at best a 10mm with a 6mm cpc. unless 1of these Gn?Y singles is an additional earthing conductor. is this in a flat?
If you mean the cable going to the consumer unit, it is a 25mm.

If you mean the cable going to the consumer unit, it is a 25mm.

That type of cable is not available in sizes above 16mm, so I'm pretty sure it won't be bigger than 16mm
[automerge]1568907516[/automerge]

It looks like the bonding comes from the MET in the picture so it could be compliant on an earthing front.

The lack of apparent support is another matter though.

DIY job ?

I don't know many Sparks these days who use T&e for main tails , used to use 10mm T&e for tails in coucil houses back in the 1990s but that was because a roll of 10mm T&e was cheaper than a roll or red and a roll of black tails

Reply to Extra Consumer Unit in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock