Discuss Extra LED Flood Light wiring in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Morning,

I think I know the answer, but wanted to double check.

We already have an LED flood installed outside, and I want to add another.

Am I OK to just add the twin and earth to the attached choc bloc and run them of the same switch?

Thanks

Mark

flood.jpg

flood2.jpg

Yep.. New Build.

I know regards the UV, and the cable may perish.. but its mainly in the shade where it's is going.

The plan was to run the cable from the junction box straight into the choc bloc in the new flood..

But its come complete so guess I need to mount it's own junction box to connect ?

One other question.. the knockout gland is 20mm.. but the cable 1.5mm CSA... should it not fit snug in the gland? It seems far to big ?

Thanks for the advice!

Flood3.jpg

flood4.jpg

How would you get the cable through to the box?? :(

Apologies.. the cable I'm using is 1.5mm black flex.. not standard twin and earth

so fit a ad.box adjacent to the new light. gland in bottom, 1.5mm flex to existing box and connect. the gland will tighten up on 1.5mm flex ideally. that's why it has a rubber seal in it. clipflex to wall with appropriate clips or use as a washing line.

You also get different sized internal bores on 20mm compression glands to suit different applications.

who's crackpot idea was it to fit a gland in the box lid?

so fit a ad.box adjacent to the new light. gland in bottom, 1.5mm flex to existing box and connect. the gland will tighten up on 1.5mm flex ideally. that's why it has a rubber seal in it. clipflex to wall with appropriate clips or use as a washing line.

Legend.. completely over thought it ! And of course the gland tightens to the cable ! :smile: Doh !

Good tip with the washing line bit! :tearsofjoy:

You also get different sized internal bores on 20mm compression glands to suit different applications.
and there's always silicon to fill any holes (ask katie price for advice).

Make sure you practise safe isolation, nothing to do with katie price (whoever he is).

its ok... the gland hasn't been fitted into the lid yet.
While you're at it, put a gland on the original box too..

Next question;- why did they use 3 core and earth? I assume its so there could be a PIR fitting used, and the brown is a permanent live... so as new builds go, it would be worth checking if that's connected or not.

I think the outside lighting cable was terminated in terminal blocks in the IP box and the light has been added.

Hi.. Yes safe isolation as always !

I assume they just put 3c and earth there and left it until the fittings arrived then realised they did nit need a core..

So is that still safe?

Hi.. Yes safe isolation as always !

I assume they just put 3c and earth there and left it until the fittings arrived then realised they did nit need a core..

So is that still safe?

You say you will perform safe isolation, then say you are to assume certain things. This is contradictory.

You say you will perform safe isolation, then say you are to assume certain things. This is contradictory.
No qualifications listed on profile, but says he will carry out safe isolation, I wonder.

I assume as I was not the electrician ?
How do you intend to carry out safe isolation? do you have the appropriate test equipment to do so?

Reply to Extra LED Flood Light wiring in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net