Discuss extra socket in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

P

Peter Woodford

guys

been asked to install an extra socket in a house. does this need to be rcd protected if isn't already. Fuse board has rewire-able fuses its also only a short run

cheers

not as far as i know.

Last edited:
long day! not reading post properly too!
just go ahead, who cares!!!!!.................i mean who needs to be certed these days anyway!.......not me going to court if u kill someone or burn their house down!

Last edited by a moderator:
there are 2 ways of doing this safely and compliant with regs. 1.remove the ring main L and N feed from the 30A fuse and it's neutral bar. then feed to an enclosed 30mA RCD, then into the ring so as to protect the whole ring, bearing in mind you can fit only one socket if it's spurred off the ring. 2. fit an RCD FCU by the socket you are spurring from to feed your new socket. max. load 13A). test and issue a MWC.

BUT, only undertake this work if you are competent to do it. other wise.........

Last edited:
Rcd protect circuit in new encloser with mcb and run earths in. It's just when u tell clients it's not as simple as just adding a socket they think your trying to rib them off

look, just show them the regs book, how big it is and tell them that is what we have to comply to. if they want a cheap job then go round the local and ask somebody who wants to do it for £20 cash and job is a good un, they are asking for ur advice, u give it to them correctly irrevelant of the cost, if thats the price to comply then u have done ur job, whether u get it may be a different story?

Depends what use the socket-outlet is intended for.
If it's for general use by ordinary persons, then yes it has to be RCD protected (allthough the amendment due out later this year may make an exception for this).
If it's intended for a specific item of equipment (which could be a TV and Video) then no it doesn't have to be RCD protected.
The RCD protection if required can be provided by using an RCD socket-outlet, allthough protecting the whole circuit with an RCBO may be preferable.

guys

been asked to install an extra socket in a house. does this need to be rcd protected if isn't already. Fuse board has rewire-able fuses its also only a short run

cheers

Don't you just love these cans of worms created by the regs.

Given the input so far its obvious there are different interpretations on what is the way to do this. So if the customer gets 3 sparkies in and gets 3 different "suggestions" how is the average punter supposed to know which is correct?

Seemingly there are no penalties for home owners doing their own work (notifiable or not) and not complying with the regs......

Going down the route of "all new" sockets having RCD protection seems a little OTT, especially if its not in a special location or near one!

I heard a tutor on a course once say that extra sockets, not in special locations, and NOT on an outside wall didn't need a RCD!

Personally I'd go for the "spur" option with a RCD FCU or RCD socket, as the protection.

Last edited by a moderator:
Depends what use the socket-outlet is intended for.
If it's for general use by ordinary persons, then yes it has to be RCD protected (allthough the amendment due out later this year may make an exception for this).
If it's intended for a specific item of equipment (which could be a TV and Video) then no it doesn't have to be RCD protected.
The RCD protection if required can be provided by using an RCD socket-outlet, allthough protecting the whole circuit with an RCBO may be preferable.

A domestic property is always going classed as under use by ordinary persons. RCDs are always going to be needed in a domestic dwelling, mainly as the cable depths are never goiing to met the requirements for not needing the RCD.

Bring on the amendment

A domestic property is always going classed as under use by ordinary persons. RCDs are always going to be needed in a domestic dwelling, mainly as the cable depths are never goiing to met the requirements for not needing the RCD.

Bring on the amendment
Don't quite get your point?
The OP is asking whether the socket-outlet requires RCD protection, not the cables.
If the socket-outlet is not intended for general use, in a special location or for use by mobile equipment outdoors, then RCD protection is not required.
This is irrespective of whether it is under use by ordinary persons.

Eh ?? If a socket is for use of mobile equipment out doors or in a Special Location then RCD protection IS required.

As for it needing an RCD for general use indoors I think that as long as the cable install meets the requirements for Chase depth i.e Mechanical protection then RCD protection is NOT required.

You can see where the confusion comes into the interpretation of the regs.

I take it what you part (b) 411.3.3. Specific labelled suitably identified socket outletetc.

Personally until the new ammendements come out I still only go down the RCD route erring on safety.

Everyone will have there own interpretation on the red book and regs and that whats good about this forum .

What I was getting at is if hes adding a new socket then regardless of what its used for, the cable supplying it is going to be the deciding factor on if the circuit now requires RCD protection, that is unless it meets the criteria set out not to need protection.

Just sticking an RCD socket in aint going to satisfy the requirement for addition protection required by cable installation method

Reply to extra socket in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock