Discuss extractor fan grill installation in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

mozzo

Hi, just wondering if anyone know of a product that allows an external extractor fan grill to be installed without having to scale a ladder on the outside and drill external holes for fitting. Ian

If you're drilling a core hole you could fit a round grill to a bit of solid 4" pipe and push it through from the inside. A bit of Gripfill would stop it moving once in place but it could look a bit shoddy! I've always been able to get a ladder up to a core hole and in the event that drilling fixings isn't possible a good dollop of the previously mentioned Gripfill will keep it up there for a lifetime and means you don't need to take one of your hands of the ladder to push it in place.

Thanks guys, I will be doing a core hole and will try the round grill from inside out using grip fill. Without a labourer holding the ladder I never like to scale upto roof height for a bathroom fan grill. As well as breaking health and safety I never like that kind of height without someone at the bottom. Call me a woose but 5metres high on my own is not for me. The perfect product would be a round grill that is bigger than the drilled hole that calapses when push through the hole attached to 4inch pipe but opens up once outside the hole to form a perfect fit with some bonding adhesive. That way you never need a ladder as a round grill is always perfectly centred. Now who wants to great this product for dragons den. :)

Without a labourer holding the ladder I never like to scale upto roof height for a bathroom fan grill. As well as breaking health and safety I never like that kind of height without someone at the bottom. Call me a woose but 5metres high on my own is not for me.

Ever considered buying one of these then? Not used one myself but someone at my previous company had one at a site he used to work at. He reckoned you could climb about 3m up an unsupported ladder before it felt like it was going to slip/tip.

agree with the op. would be nice to do all the work from the safety of inside. used gripfill myself a few times, much safer and just as good imho.

I think I'm not getting something here or maybe I misunderstand the op. Why can't you work from a normal extension ladder?

There was something available a few years ago that just pushed through the pipe and sealed by a rubber type seal, think it was made by either xpelair or vent axia

Being a bit dis advantaged on the youthfull energetic methods,I woud do this

Drill the hole,get 2 lengths of string with a weight on the end.throw it through the hole
Go outside and tie the strings onto the vent, which you just Blue Petered (prepared earlier) with silicone sealant
Go back upstairs and pull the strings up
The 2 strings will allow you to move it around for square,then leave for a few hours to set with the strings kept taught or otherwise brave a ladder :)

Is this a wind-up? How you gonna get the strings off the grille? How you going to get the four meter silicone stripe off the outside wall.

Okay okay, I've also got a method. Assuming you're using flexible ducting, feed the whole 10 meters of flexible ducting from its box out thru the hole from inside the bathroom. Then go outside and silicone or duct tape the louvre panel to the flexible which is hanging down the outside of the house. Go back up to the bathroom and pull the flexible back until the louvre is against the wall. Rotate the flexible in the hole until the louvre is straight. Cut of the excess flexible and secure to the inside of the hole using a few masonry nails and finally install the fan on the inside.

i have done something similar in the past when a very large conservatory blocked access.The way i did was to cut the liner tube to lenght and screw external grill to it sort of around the circle if you know what i mean.Then 3 small self tappers at the other end of the liner just far enough inside to clear the flange on the fan.pull complete assembly up on string/levitation/magic/archery(delete as applicable)and pull into hole from inside,then tighten the inner screws so they bite into the brickwork within the hole,job done and much neater then gripfill etc.

Great minds think alike although the archery idea adds an interesting twist that I never thought of :)

in the time it has taken to read this thread i could have put the ladder up, fixed the grill, wired the fan ( complete with 3 pole isolator ) had a brew, loaded up the van, and been in my 2nd pint. LOL>

It's a georgian high ceiling house and my ladder does not go beyond 5.25m, I was thinking about the ideas suggested such as string and pulling through but just wanted to get some feedback and ideas and also any alternative products that don't need external access whatsover. Thanks for the contributions all.

I saw one of these things in B&Q a couple of weeks ago.

These are definitely available. Have used these in the past when working in blocks of flats etc. I think they are called 'high rise' kits or something along those lines. As you say, they push through the hole in the wall from the inside, then when you pull the kit back through there's a rubber seal forms around the hole. It may actually be worth checking around some plumbing wholesalers if electrical wholesalers aren't any use.

Thanks fella, just made a google search for high rise kit and low and behold the answer to my prayers.
Well, don't know about the rest of you but there's no more need to ever scale 4.75m on ladders to drill holes on my own.

Reply to extractor fan grill installation in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net