Discuss Extractor fan to timer type in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi

I’m thinking of changing an extractor fan (in a WC) to one with a run on/timer. The current set up doesn’t have an isolator, and wiring runs from the light bulb to the fan, which is sited in the ceiling about 18” away. The fan is vented through a flat roof above.

Now, I realise that i’ll need a permanent live and to fit an isolator switch. I’m thinking of doing this:
- to leave existing wiring as is, and take a live feed from a lighting circuit junction box in the attic;
- to install an isolator switch in the permanent feed run, ie in the attic.

I’d rather not have to channel into walls to run a new 3 core cable.

Thanks

Hi

I’m thinking of changing an extractor fan (in a WC) to one with a run on/timer. The current set up doesn’t have an isolator, and wiring runs from the light bulb to the fan, which is sited in the ceiling about 18” away. The fan is vented through a flat roof above.

Now, I realise that i’ll need a permanent live and to fit an isolator switch. I’m thinking of doing this:
- to leave existing wiring as is, and take a live feed from a lighting circuit junction box in the attic;
- to install an isolator switch in the permanent feed run, ie in the attic.

I’d rather not have to channel into walls to run a new 3 core cable.

Thanks
Sound like a rubbish plan.

Do you not think it would be a good idea to isolate the 'switch live' and 'neutral' as well?

Last edited:
You need to check the instructions for this new fan, a lot require a 3 Amp fuse fitting

Hi - just so you know - new regulations from January mean that changing the wiring on a circuit with lights will require an RCD be fitted, if it’s not already. And depending on details, a building works notification (Part P) might also be required as you are doing electrical work in a bathroom. An Electrician can help you with both of these aspects, as well as testing the completed works are safe, just saying :) .

That really doesn't sound good at all Daljit, also dangerous because:

1. You could be taking the permanent live (PL) from a different circuit.
2. You will only be isolating the PL not the switch live, so if you do use the isolator switch (i use the term lightly) you would still have a live fan when the light switch was on. Someone who moves in after you could well get an electric shock as they would never suspect that it had been wired so badly.

I realise you are probably trying to safe some money but you really should get an electrician to do this work.

Hi - just so you know - new regulations from January mean that changing the wiring on a circuit with lights will require an RCD be fitted, if it’s not already. And depending on details, a building works notification (Part P) might also be required as you are doing electrical work in a bathroom. An Electrician can help you with both of these aspects, as well as testing the completed works are safe, just saying :) .
Hi, WC so no special regs

That really doesn't sound good at all Daljit, also dangerous because:

1. You could be taking the permanent live (PL) from a different circuit.
2. You will only be isolating the PL not the switch live, so if you do use the isolator switch (i use the term lightly) you would still have a live fan when the light switch was on. Someone who moves in after you could well get an electric shock as they would never suspect that it had been wired so badly.

I realise you are probably trying to safe some money but you really should get an electrician to do this work.
Thanks for considered comment! It’s less about saving cash, it is a simple job but just don’t like the idea of channelling into walls.

It’s a WC

Surely anyone looking to service the fan will know it only operates when the light is switched on...

I’m thinking of changing an extractor fan (in a WC) to one with a run on/timer.

Hi mate. The fan will require a 'permanent live' as well as a 'switch live'. Both will need isolation, as well as the 'neutral'.
Have a look at the manual for the fan you are thinking of getting. This should tell you how to wired it.
What fan are you thinking of getting?

Reply to Extractor fan to timer type in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock