Discuss Extractor Fan Vent + Transformer in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hullo. I was having work done by a builder who turned out to be rogue, new builder took over job and told me that he would need to change the extractor fan I had chosen as is wasn't 2.25m in height from the bottom of the bath. He changed it to another one, but when I checked it it wasn't properly affixed to the wall and the hole behind it was filled with a transformer box (picture attached).

When queried I was told it needed the transformer as it wouldn't be certifiable without it. Which is fine, but will this not seriously affect operation of the fan if it's just extracting into a almost fully blocked hole? I asked if the hole could be made bigger but was met with some grump. Any thoughts?

Thanks!

IMG_20180626_184317.jpg

Mmmmh! Someone is extracting something!
Is that transformer IP rated?
Can it be mounted near and high?
What is the inside of the hole made of? Can it be enlarged any side?

The fan does not need to be above 2.25m, does not need to be transformed, and only an absolute pratt would stuff all that in the vent.
Hire a local electrician to do this work for you. You wouldn't hire a sparky to build a wall now would you ?

Sorry should have specified - he brought in a sparky to check everything and he was the one who made the changes.

Sorry should have specified - he brought in a sparky to check everything and he was the one who made the changes.

It's an absolute mess. You've got basic insulation outside of an enclosure on presumably the mains voltage cable. You have unenclosed connections floating about in there just waiting to be infiltrated by the moisture the fan will throw at them. The gubbins blocking the vent will not see adequate space for the fan to work properly and will probably cause a build up of condensed moisture on the transformer case.

The transformer was completely not needed if the fan circuit has RCD protection. Mains voltage fans are allowed in the bathroom zone 1.

I would have no confidence in the skills or knowledge of the person who installed that.

It's an absolute mess. You've got basic insulation outside of an enclosure on presumably the mains voltage cable. You have unenclosed connections floating about in there just waiting to be infiltrated by the moisture the fan will throw at them. The gubbins blocking the vent will not see adequate space for the fan to work properly and will probably cause a build up of condensed moisture on the transformer case.

The transformer was completely not needed if the fan circuit has RCD protection. Mains voltage fans are allowed in the bathroom zone 1.

I would have no confidence in the skills or knowledge of the person who installed that.

Brilliant. Definitely what I like to hear after having multiple people end up as crooks on me during this project.

How big a job do you estimate it would be to rectify assuming there is RCD protection?

Brilliant. Definitely what I like to hear after having multiple people end up as crooks on me during this project.

How big a job do you estimate it would be to rectify assuming there is RCD protection?

Assuming it's RCD protected, you just need a zone 1 rated 230V fan installing after all the transformer gubbins is removed from the vent space.
Not a big job at all. Even adding RCD protection need not be too bad if it's not already present.
The transformer fan could even be reused if the transformer could be located somewhere suitable like a loft space above.

Wouldn't even expect that kinda work from an apprentice let alone an "electrician". As others have said nothing wrong with a mains voltage fan in zones 1 or 2 for a bath as long as it's to IPx4.

Jobs need redoing again :oops:

Did either of the "electricians" give you any certificates and / or Part P certificates?

Hi. Yes. The second electrician who did the extractor fan certified the entire flat. I would have to dig out the actual certificate tomorrow to show you what it is (I am a complete noob which kind of answers how I managed to get screwed at every turn here)...

Hold back some of the payment. That is atrocious.
If the spark is part of a scheme, report him.
If the spark isn’t part of a scheme, take a photo of his shoddy work and post it to an Internet forum.... ohhhh...

Looks like a job for Matt Alwright

Hi. Yes. The second electrician who did the extractor fan certified the entire flat. I would have to dig out the actual certificate tomorrow to show you what it is (I am a complete noob which kind of answers how I managed to get screwed at every turn here)...

If you "publish anything" on here, please make sure you redact your details and those of the electrician

Reply to Extractor Fan Vent + Transformer in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net