Discuss Extractor Fan Wiring help please in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

Mrgee

Hi,
my electrician has installed a triple pole isolator wiring outside my bathroom, currently there is one triple and earth and two twin and earths, all the wiring diagrams i can find suggest there should be two triples installed, one in and one out, i am interested to understand what his plan of wiring was by laying the cable he has done ? thanks in advance

Would be great if you could post a photo or two. The isolator has three cables wired into it? Is the isolator supplying just the fan?

hi, the isolator isnt fitted but the box for it has the triple and earth and 2 x twin and earths, above in the open ceiling are the other ends of the cables mentioned waiting to go where they should, i expect the isolator will control the lamp and fan (with timer) - thanks

The wiring diagrams you have seen are but one way of wiring in a means of isolation
There are many configurations that can be used and all can be as relevant as the basic layout of 2x 3 core+e you have seen

One twin+e is possibly a supply cable,the other could be a looped supply or even a means of control,he could be installing a fused spur to satisfy some manufacturers instructions,he may have run out of 3 core+E and is using 2xtwin+e instead

What, I wonder if you dont mind me asking, is the reason for the investigation of opinion on this subject?

thanks, the electrician has gone, i am completing the rest of the wiring myself with the supervision of a test & inspection spark and i like to understand myself, i would have run a triple in and a triple out, so wondered when i looked at what had been done already why he chose to do it this way or even how could you do it this way ? - thanks

best way is to get your friendly spark to wire it up and explain as he does it. if it's wrong, no doubt he can put it right.

Hi,
my electrician has installed a triple pole isolator wiring outside my bathroom, currently there is one triple and earth and two twin and earths, all the wiring diagrams i can find suggest there should be two triples installed, one in and one out, i am interested to understand what his plan of wiring was by laying the cable he has done ? thanks in advance
Ask him!

Thanks for the reply Mrgee
icon14.png

I usually try to avoid having a source of light to control ventilation so I personally never have need of tripple pole isolation with my own method of wiring fans
Switched fused spurs suitably located cover all requirements that are usually found

What is a test and inspection spark ?
icon11.png

Test and inspection is a necessary function of all qualified sparks
icon14.png

Beware,watch out for the part p police,allthough the wailing of their alarms, as they come to prosecute, generally alerts people to their approach
icon7.png

thanks, the test & inspection spark is the guy returning to complete the certification, it was his lad that wired the place up but was more interested in his txt messages than doing a decent days work so he wont be returning, since then i have been on it and i have found cracked jb's chaffed cable, cut cables, misisng circuits and all kinds, so i am checking everything and learning as i go and thsi one stumped me, thanks

thats the thing i do but and i have come across something i dont understand hence why am asking for help, or should i not learn and understand - all work will be checked and tested by someone i am paying so whats the harm with me trying to learn whats what ? do you know how to wire this correctly with the cable installed ?

If you are looking out for the safety and quality of install in your own home under the guidance of someone who is willing to mentor you, then its understandable to want the job done right and as long as you dont make assumptions based on a DIY approach you should be able to achieve your aim

The only shame is that you were not aware of the lads shortcomings originally
Good luck to you,

ide say if you arnt happy with the way the spark wired it and cant understand what he has done,, rip it out and wire it a way that suits you,,,its your house and your money...all the best

yes thanks, think i will do that but the plasterer has been in and i was trying to avoid more work, thought if one of you guys could say yep triple one side and so and s.... it would be an easy job but that doesnt seem to be the case, i think i will just use the 2 twins as a triple and wire it as per the what appears to be a usual way, the plums with the pay someone answer dont help, have spent nearly 5k trusting it do a company who just sent a £50 a day 21yr old in unsupervised in, most of the house is done but there are a few extra bits i wanted and am competent to do, thanks for your advice.

well that would of been nice but run my own business and do 14hr days so was unable to, plus it was an insurance job that went wrong, they wouldnt settle direct with me so i could refurb the whole place, they took the lowest quote for the whole job, failed to pay the builder on time nearly putting him out of business, then forced me to agree to a cash settlement to finish the job myself even though the builder wouldnt return for the rest of the money left on the job, i paid the spark direct but then had the problems with the lad not showing up and all kinds so i said leave the rest to me and you come back to certify it, just have a few loose ends to sort and during this have discovered some faults and he left with a bundle of wires in the downstairs loo hence the thread, thanks

ide say if you arnt happy with the way the spark wired it and cant understand what he has done,, rip it out and wire it a way that suits you,,,its your house and your money...all the best
All good and well if its a shoddy job, but if its done right but in a way a customer can't figure out from a book/forum then its leaving us all open to having our work ripped out!

2 Way switching can be done a few different ways for example. As can extractor fans & isolation. As can smoke alarms.

Reply to Extractor Fan Wiring help please in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net