Discuss Eye catching marketing in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

O

Octopus

Today our postman posted a "card based" leaflet with our post.

Its addressed to "Dear Roof" and also on the front is an aerial picture of our house and our immediate neighbours.

The "deal" on offer is "free solar panels"

So what is the catch?? I'm intreagued!

Rent a Roof company takes hundreds of pounds a year feed in tariff money. You get some free electricity to use whilst your out working all day!!

and you won't be able to sell the house for 25 years as it's got a sitting tenant ( the installers who have rented your roof.)

Some firm claimed they would buy your house at market value if there was any resale/remortgage issues, so maybe that is not an issue. Free panels are good if you do not have or want to spend thousands upfront to receive payments over 25 or 20 years, but you must be in a position to maximize your usage of free electric to make it worthwhile, so you need to stay home all day and have lots of electric usage in the middle of the day, especially on sunny days.

Free solar or rent a roof has it place and is definitely suitable for some people, however if your willing to invest up front, then solar panels will give you the best guaranteed and indexed linked investment available on the market today. Let alone the green considerations of renewable energy.

Free panel systems have their place in the market, but as MorganPVI says they are not an alternative to purchasing a system. If you can afford it, invest yourself. If you can't, and you are retired/work from home etc then they can make a lot of sense. Issues with mortgage companies are actually quite rare - its just that the press love to be negative and splash the same story about everywhere (or dig up an old one). If the lease is fairly written and the homeowner circumstances suite it can offer 'something for nothing' as far as they are concerned. Estate agents I have spoken to do not see any issues selling on - after all you may be selling with a lease but you are also selling a house with half the electricity costs of its neighbour. Many people also seem to forget that at the moment solicitors and mortgage companies are really playing catch up in this market - once they do this will be no more an issue than the multitude of other ones around property purchase.
There is also comment regarding potential purchasers being put off - yes there will be some (but they probably would also find another reason if pv wasn't there!) and some argue that they would not buy because they would want to invest in panels themselves. Now this argument annoys me a little. Within a couple of years (if that) there will be no tariff to make an investment decision with. Problem gone.

Last edited by a moderator:
Today our postman posted a "card based" leaflet with our post.

Its addressed to "Dear Roof" and also on the front is an aerial picture of our house and our immediate neighbours.

The "deal" on offer is "free solar panels"

So what is the catch?? I'm intreagued!

Much better to buy the panels yourself.

From rent-a-roof, a household with a big (3-4kWp) solar array might save a couple of hundred pounds a year. If no mains gas then the savings will be more.
Personally, I would not do it for a couple of hundred quid bill savings a year, and the risk that rent-a-roofers will not be sympathetic in making the panels look as attractive as possible, and the risk of problems with selling the house, or even obtaining a mortgage on a house where the roof no longer belongs to the owner. The mortgage lender should be consulted and they are likely to say "NO"! - the house is their house; you are still paying them back for it.

The several-hundred-pounds-per-year Feed-in-Tariff subsidy will allow the rent-a-roof company to make a much fatter profit than the power which can be used in-house. The power from minute-to-minute and from day-to-day is very variable and it is difficult to use it. There tends to either be far too much (on sunny days) and it mostly flows into the grid, or there tends to be dull days with only enough to run two lightbulbs, and all other household appliances have to draw the additional required power from the grid.

So they make about three to four times the "profit" that the homeowner will make.

I strongly advise to buy your own where possible.
Rent-a-roof schemes should be treated with caution due to the risk of spoiling the house apperance and making it difficult to obtain mortgages or difficult to find a house buyer who will accept a rent-a-roof property.

For example:
I have had 3.75kWp solar array on my roof for several months.
I am at home in the day, and I can use the power. I have reduced my bill by half - a saving of about £200-250 per year.
This is all I would have saved had I done rent-a-roof. If I didn't work from home, I would have saved much less as the power would just flow into the grid.

However, I received a Feed-in-Tariff payment of about £350 in April, for the three-month period to that point.
I expect to receive another FiT payment around £450 shortly for the most recent three months - despite the dull weather.
So I'll be looking at £1600 per year in FiT payments (which is what the rent-a-roofers will be pocketing) and £200 per year in bill savings.
This is with 45.4p FiT and 3.1p export tariff (now 21.0p and 3.1p).
21p FiT would reduce the FiT payments to £800 per year and the bill savings remain the same, around £200.

This is where the Rent-a-Roofers earn the big bucks; the house owner doesn't get paid anything from the FiT; it goes towards yachts, ferraris and fine wine for the owners of the Rent-a-roof company who can just sit at home and watch the sun come up each morning.

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to Eye catching marketing in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net