Discuss Eyelid Lights Fitted Under Soffit in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

rdmbfossa

-
DIY
Reaction score
Wondering if anyone has fitted eyelid type wall lights under soffits? I think I've only seen these wall mounted but I want to light up my double garage door, I want the light to point more out towards the drive than light up the door itself so wondered if this would work? Also there is a sensor option which I would prefer but it is microwave, will this be suitable, I don't want it triggering a lot if I'm working inside the garage? This is the fitting I'm looking at;

http://www.eterna-lighting.co.uk/product/sheyebk/

Thanks.

is your soffit wide enough to even fit it on? it might work but I don't think it would look right, maybe some tilt gu10 recessed fittings?

microwave sensors are pretty good, usually adjustments to sensitivity on them aswell

You would have to be careful that the fitting is still suitable for the environment when mounted on a horizontal surface, the fitting is likely not designed for water run off in that position, but so long as it is under the soffit it is very likely to maintain IP33 rating. Make sure the cable connections are also suitably enclosed
If you want the light to come on when you approach the door then a short range setting would be fine.
A microwave sensor pick up would probably be seriously reduced through a metal garage door.

Thanks for the replies. Yes the soffit's are roughly 400 mm deep so they're OK for size, it is described as a ceiling/wall light and should be fairly well protected from the weather where it's located . I don't really wan't to go the downlighter route if possible as I don't want to cut holes in the upvc and there are houses around here with downlighters all round them and I'm not too keen on the look of the light pattern they give out. I thought of eyelids as I hoped the light would be more focused more forward onto the drive rather than all round, if it's not these then I'll probably go for the normal round version without the eylid unless anyone has any suggestions of a suitable alternative? The garage door is an insulated sectional one.

Reply to Eyelid Lights Fitted Under Soffit in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net