Discuss Facebook, Whatsapp and Instagram - All down for you too? mwahahahaaa in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

It has its uses to be fair mate but I avoid it like the plague. All new social media I give a wide berth to. Though my daughter is was into TikTok I'm trying to get her to work on her website/blog a bit more. I think Santa might be bringing something that'll have Adobe Photoshop on it this year, she seems to want to do things like that. Design things.

I'm glad it's all back to normal for the businesses, and whatsapp my mum uses so need that knocking about. She rang me poor sod, said she had broke her internet and can I fix it, basically over the phone using magic I guess :D

Further analysis

so, basically the internet is like 1 big sewer. it can only handle so much sh!t before blocking up.

so, basically the internet is like 1 big sewer. it can only handle so much sh!t before blocking up.
Exactly. Putting incorrect BGP Routes into the head router(s) and allowing them to propagate throughout the system caused other routers to identify ALL the routes from them as DOWN , to stop the route information flooding all the bandwidth ( if routers cannot find routes, they keep trying, hence the dead timers)

Why this was done on Monday morning, and not tested correctly in a lab environment is a question I would like to hear .... this is the official party line though

Did they try turning it off, and switching it back on again?
They probably did, but it still takes time to boot up devices, and for the BGP tables to rebuild with the correct routes

Rebooting can also start other shitstorms, as devices this size are rarely rebooted, and you are on the hook for those issues that were dormant while routers were up

They probably did, but it still takes time to boot up devices, and for the BGP tables to rebuild with the correct routes

Rebooting can also start other shitstorms, as devices this size are rarely rebooted, and you are on the hook for those issues that were dormant while routers were up
could youpossibly translate your posts into English so that us peasants can understand what you are on about?

I was watching the news earlier and some bloke on there said that is basically what they did!
looks like they may have got an engineer rather than a geek to fix it then.

Yeah it seems so! All my tech seems to be having hissy fits today - ready to throw it out of the window!
no problems here, but then i don'tuse face ache, instagrab, tw4tter, or any of the stupid anti-social media.

Haha, It is my outlook for emails and my internet in general being a pain!! I am sure it must be clocking off time @Dan
chill out. get some vegetarian beer down. everything be OK come morning. (as long as Rasputin does not decide on a cyber attack).

could youpossibly translate your posts into English so that us peasants can understand what you are on about?
Routing tables on routers are like phone contacts on your phone, apart from they are not static ... they are updated as more efficient routes become available.

If you add bad routes, this causes confusion , and destination routers assume everything is incorrect , and block the offending routers

Hence, Facebook was cutoff

Reply to Facebook, Whatsapp and Instagram - All down for you too? mwahahahaaa in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock