Discuss Failed lighting circuit in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

mb2020

DIY
Reaction score
Looking for advice, please! Converting MR16s with transformer to GU16 lamp holders wired into mains. Done it several time before without problems but this time when converting five downlights in kitchen, the whole circuit stopped working. During process the second bulb (halogen) did blow when I switched electricity back on for a test. Thought it might have blown the dimmer switch. Changed that for LED dimmer but still no lights. Breaker hasn't tripped, either. As lights are presumably on a radial circuit could there be a loose wire which is breaking the circuit? Thanks for any advice.

Do you have any form of voltage tester at hand?
either the 2 prong type, a multimeter or even a no-touch detector? Not a neon screwdriver.... too unreliable.

has the blown halogen taken out an upstream rcd maybe as well as it’s mcb?

which area of Scotland? There’s a few of us on here that might be close by.

Hi, I presume you mean gu10 lamps and holders? Is it possible that when removed a fitting or transformer you may have pulled on a junction box above the ceiling? If so you may have dislodged a cable inside it possibly preventing them from working. Be careful when working near them as if the neutral is lost the lights will still be live. But hopefully if you carry out electrical work you'll have some test gear to check that.

Do you have any form of voltage tester at hand?
either the 2 prong type, a multimeter or even a no-touch detector? Not a neon screwdriver.... too unreliable.

has the blown halogen taken out an upstream rcd maybe as well as it’s mcb?

which area of Scotland? There’s a few of us on here that might be close by.

--

I don't have a tester but have arranged for an electrician to come round so I guess he'll check for that. Thanks.
[automerge]1578075536[/automerge]
Hi, I presume you mean gu10 lamps and holders? Is it possible that when removed a fitting or transformer you may have pulled on a junction box above the ceiling? If so you may have dislodged a cable inside it possibly preventing them from working. Be careful when working near them as if the neutral is lost the lights will still be live. But hopefully if you carry out electrical work you'll have some test gear to check that.

--

Yes, meant GU10. May have pulled on the junction box. Would loose wiring on a radial circuit break it? I did check each connection and they looked fine. Can't access the junction box but have now arranged for an electrician to come round as this is beyond my knowledge. Thanks.

Sounds like the best plan. Let us know what the issue was.

Reply to Failed lighting circuit in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net