Discuss Fan isolator switch access in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

gdp001

-
Reaction score
I have attached a photo of an isolator switch which is for an extraction fan in my kitchen. The only way I have found to switch it off is to take the front plate off which then gives acces to the switch. Is there a key/tool that can be used to turn the switch off/on through the slot in the front plate without having to take the plate off completely?

Fan isolator switch access DSC_0182[1].JPG - EletriciansForums.net

That is an MK key switch and yes is requires a small key. That switch is not an isolator but a functional switch, no reason why it cannot be changed.

A key switch isolator is only fitted for one reason so it can not be turned off this is normally fitted to extract fans fitted to H/A & rented properties and if this is the case it most probably is in housing agreement.

The extractor fan is a vent axia and runs continuously. It runs at 'ticking over' speed then when I presume it detects moisture it runs at a faster speed. It does have the habit of running at the faster speed for 24hrs+ which does not seem right. So, I thought that by switching it off for a while then switching back on would reset.

Property is rented and it takes upto 2-3 weeks to get someone to look at it. I was looking for a short term solution until it can be looked at.

Thanks for your advice and replies.

I am interested which front plate are you taking off because undoing the two screws to take the main cover plate off will not help so are you popping off the key switch bezel.

Yes, taking the front plate off which is held by two screws. Then with a small screwdriver flipping off the small panel with the slit in and then pressing the black switch with same screwdriver.

It is more than likely that it is from the local lighting circuit. Can you see the modal number on it? just guessing it has a humidistat and run on timer that may need adjusting is this not in home users pack?

I've attached a picture of the vent axia control unit and the switch. There doesn't seem to be any obvious signs of a way of adjusting it? Anyway, I've ordered a key as a short term fix and will have to contact housing association to get them to look at.

Fan isolator switch access DSC_0183.JPG - EletriciansForums.net

usually there are controls on the underside of the fan transformer unit, perhaps they are on the topside considering the trunking work?

if not they will be inside and id recommend you dont take the cover off if you are unsure

I will take your advice and won't take the cover as I wouldn't be sure of what I should be doing. I presume that they must have re-wired the place at some stage as there is trunking in every room in the flat. Thanks.

that trunking work is shoddy

I've got a friend who moved into a H.A flat.
H.A had rewired and refurbed the whole place fire doors, door closers smoke alarm etc.
All Surface wiring and switches.
Pity the lounge door wouldn't close because the surface box for the switch was too close to the doorway.

So much for fire protection.

looks like the walls are concrete judging by the bubbles in the paint, i still think if youre going to use trunking it should at least look nice, those unfinished joins just make it look thrown in

those bubbles are due to the wood chips in the wallpaper. said wallpaper now banned as it's considered a fire hazard due to the wood chips. of course, wallpaper itself is non-flammable innit?

Reply to Fan isolator switch access in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock