Discuss Fan Isolator switch alternative in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Darpar

-
Reaction score
Hi. Random question, but in our utility room we have an extraction fan like what is normally found in a bathroom. Currently doesn't come on with the light or anything like the bathroom one. It has its own independent isolator switch which leaves the fan on or off continuously. Does this have to be an 'isolator' switch, or could it be changed to a normal light switch type instead? Or a switch with a light to show it is turned on? Thanks

Triple pole isolator is used for maintenance because it disconnects all lines to the fan. Could get a local spark in to see whether he could modify the light switch to bring the fan on.

Not really bothered about it coming on with the light in all honesty. Quite like it being a switch on its own. Just looks bit unsightly having a big isolator switch next to a light switch. Wondered really if it could just have a normal switch rather than the isolator type

So it is possible. My electrical knowledge is basic. I'm assuming the isolator works as a switch. So can't see why a light switch wouldn't work instead of the isolator switch?

So can't see why a light switch wouldn't work instead of the isolator switch?

Because to isolate you need to disconnect both the line and the neutral connections. Standard light switches only disconnect the line.

You can get double pole switches to do what you want.

If there is a 3 core switch cable for the fan you can use a double pole switch with a neon for control,isolation and little light all in one swoop
If there is no 3 core and you only have feed in and switch wire out to fan,you could get your feed off the light switch by changing to a 2 gang grid and use the 2 core as one core for fan switched live + the other core for a neutral for the neon

So you want something that is visually the same as your light switch post a picture so we may be able to advise a match of D.P switch and light switch.

Forgot to mention, ideally looking to match with an mk logic style switch
Why MK as you have Volex switches. I don't think you will have enough depth for grid switch configuration. Take it you are looking for switch D.P. that looks like the switch on the left.

So it is possible. My electrical knowledge is basic. I'm assuming the isolator works as a switch. So can't see why a light switch wouldn't work instead of the isolator switch?

I can't tell you what fan they've got or details of the switch as I've never really paid it much attention. As others say, it all depends...

Sorry. Wanting mk as all others in the house are so will be changing the light switch to match this. Thanks for all your help so far. And thanks for the neon switch option. Is there an option without he neon light? And how will the wiring differ from what I have currently into the new switch?

Yes that's correct. Going to be changing the size glenfiddich light switch to the left to mk logic and wanted the isolator switch to ideally match if possible or as close as can be. Not a big isolator type
Not a clue what happened with autocorrect there! Will be changing the light switch on the left. Hope that makes sense

Reply to Fan Isolator switch alternative in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net