Discuss Fast Track Electrical Courses in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

A

antded

I currently run a small business installing bathrooms, tiling etc. My son (aged 22) wants to train as an electrician. What is the best fast track training course available.

I currently run a small business installing bathrooms, tiling etc. My son (aged 22) wants to train as an electrician. What is the best fast track training course available.
Fella, I'm afraid you're on the wrong forum for quick fixes. The sparkies that frequent this forum have very little time and patience for people who don't want to put in their time. THERE is no quick and easy way to becoming an electrician - this ain't tiling mate, if you'll excuse the pun. It will take at LEAST 3 years education JUST to get graded as a trainee electrician by the JIB. If you had bothered to trawl thought this forum before posting your question you could of answered your own question without stiring up a hornets nest. You would be well advised to send him in another direction, maybe HVAC, fire alarms, CCTV that sort of thing.

To be a (decent) sparky, in my opinion, your son will need c+g2330 level3, c+g2382, c+g2391, plus NVQ level3; though it does depend what part of the electrical industry he wants to go into.

If you mean training to domestic installer level then you need to check out the requirements of the various scheme providers (NICEIC etc.) and select courses based on that criteria.

This is the domestic installer training page from NICEIC: NICEIC | Training | Domestic & Part P

Experience is key here, it's well advisable to get work experience along with formal qualifications.

Do you not know any electricians from your own business contacts?

Last edited:

The two statements are not compatable
A fast track course will not make an electrician in a short space of time

It may gain entry into the electrical industry,but the experience that others who will compete aganst him will take a long time to gain

There are some on this forum who have done fast track courses and find that their real training is after they leave the course, and are trying to stand on their own feet in a competetive market

the best advice for your son is to get hooked up with an electrician rather than doing the fast track courses. he can work alongside a electrician and gain the valuable on site training and experience these fast track courses offer. at the end of the day most people could connect up a socket and maybe a consumer unit. But it takes someone with knowledge to test the installation as it should be and also to interoperate the results. i once got told something in college that has served me well "don`t forget lad that name on the certificate if not done right is also the name above the cell door" the teacher was good and spoke sense as its not just a wire your connecting its also your name.
the best advice you could give him is to do it the best way through hands on teaching and also the tech side through a local college.

Millwall Ken reminded me why I stopped used the tiling forum. So no thanks there.

However, at least some people understood my question and gave me some constructive advice. many thanks to them.

Reply to Fast Track Electrical Courses in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net