Discuss Fastest way to become a domestic electrician. in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

U

Ujiplonk

Hey all, I've had a read through similar topics but decided to create my own. At the moment I have no electrical qualifications to speak of.

I have worked as a domestic spark since leaving school at 16, now 22. Due to financial situations I have had to work with my old man and wasn't able to get on an apprenticeship. Now I have too many outgoings to live on a sub par wage.
I would consider myself competent and speed wise I keep up with my dad who has worked mainly on a price for 30+ years.

My question is: What is the fastest way to earn a respectable qualification with 17th edition wiring regs.

At the moment I am happy to just get a domestic qualification and look to further that to a full blown spark later on.

Is my best bet to do an online course (of which there is an absurd variety so pointing towards the best ones would be appreciated) or night time/weekend courses which all seem to last for years?

In summary I am looking for a course which would last months rather than years, and leave my qualified to work on my own as a domestic electrician.

Any help is appreciated.

college 2 nights a week for whatever the 2330 is now. get 2382 at the same time. then look towards the nvq. going to take about 3 years, but at the end you'll be a proper spark, not a Electrical Trainee.

Just phone your choice of part p scheme and see what they require you to join, you need part p for housebashin but alot of people work towards getting a job gold card as a goal. If your competent you won't have a problem at all

To be a "domestic installer" all you need is 17th and registration with NICEIC or equivalent.

To register you just have to prove your competence by showing the NIC inspector a couple of jobs you've done, showing that you've got the necessary documentation (Wiring regs, on-site guide, part p etc) and test equipment (calibrated of course).

Much as I have endured, you'll be getting a lot of stick from people for doing electrical work without having done the 2330... To be honest, just ignore it. I firmly believe that the apprenticeship isn't needed for domestic work, if you've got relevant experience

Just to clarify any connections I have done have been supervised or checked by a senior employee (much as an apprentice without the badge)

Thanks for the fast informative replies. Very helpful.

Go to a reputable college, mate. These training schemes promising you fast track results just rip you off, their practical training is almost non existent and I have spent several hours looking up a particular company who took my son's money and liquidated pretty quickly after that, leaving him £4500 worse off. Don't gamble with that kind of money.

I firmly believe that the apprenticeship isn't needed for domestic work, if you've got relevant experience

I agree, but what happens when the work starts drying up and the DI gets a cold call from a commercial customer wanting a load of work done? I'll tell you what happens 99% of the time; the DI chances 'avvin a go at something they know nothing about and then end up on here asking questions when they get stuck!

In principle, if someone without an apprenticeship can demonstrate REAL competence as a domestic spark, I don't really have an issue, so long as they know and stand by their limits.

Reply to Fastest way to become a domestic electrician. in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock