Discuss Fault finding help in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

C

Cirrus

Ok chaps, a customer calls you saying he has a 'tripping problem' on his CU. Apparently it is totally random and no rhyme nor reason to it. No work done recently etc etc but the RCCB trips every now and then and the guy is worried as he is going on hols soon and naturally doesn't want fish to die etc should the power go off.
Now, where would YOU start? I reckon best way is to change RCCB for a new one and then go from there but what are your thoughts chaps?

Try to isolate the circuit that's causing the tripping by leaving each breaker in turn off would help narrow it down. Or try unplugging appliances one by one. But if the tripping is very spurious this is a long job to prove what the problem is.

I'd start with unplugging everything and doing the continuity / IR and RCD tests on the wwiring system alone to see if that gives any clues. Also, consider how it's wired. Our RCD used to spuriously trip with no appliance conclusively to blame, but we suspected something or other in the kitchen. Wen the buliders did our kitchen some 15 years back they wired it themselves. They took two radials off of the ring, and we were plugging all of the big power users into one of these radials. A new ring in the kitchen solved that one.

If the tests shed no light, I'd be inclined to suspect kitchen appliances, or items with a motor as the most likely culprits. Not easy I know!

But if his concern is the fish, then does he have any non - RCD supplies that have sockets on them?

Last edited by a moderator:
Have that problem with the old stone walled houses. Walls get very damp and cause nuisance tripping randomly.
I would do Insulation resistance test. You could try Earth leakage clamp on each circuit if you have one.

Have also had the problem several times when washing machines run and ten mins into cycle or so when the heaters come on...the trip goes. Common fault with heating elements in a washer.

Have that problem with the old stone walled houses. Walls get very damp and cause nuisance tripping randomly.

Yes, this is an old cottage too with cotswold stone walls. Trouble is, I can't leave circuits off for too long because it doesn't happen daily but just now and then.

It's a difficult one as from what you say there is no common denominator with regard to why or when it trips. If it is a true intermittant fault even using a clamp may not show where they problem lies initially.

If the customer would accept the cost etc you could always replace the cu with one containing rcbos and atleast you could then identify the faulty circuit when it tripped.

This is going to be a bit of a brain tease:eek:

Expensive option changing the board for one full of RCBO's but I suppose 2 days scratching my head trying to find the fault is just as expensive. Don't have an earth leakage clamp either:(

Hi, I have the same problem now and again intermittent tripping. Now I only found out it was the RCD it's self found it by a ramp test with my new meter, tripped at 15mA, it mainly trips when the kids plug in the power supply for the laptop, this can cause a residual current enough to trip sometimes. I will change the RCD soon, it's just extra sensitive for now.

I get this problem a lot where i am as a lot of the houses are made of Portland stone that gets very damp. I start with a ramp test on the RCD and if OK then IR test the whole house 95% of the time i find the fault by these two tests.

Failing that i would turn every other circuit other than his fish tank of. Someone must be coming in to feed the fish so they can check the RCD has not tripped.

Have had this exact problem.RCD on whole house. Changed RCD to no avail, Meggerd everything, set about PAT testing appliances and found two with a small amount of earth leakage that on their own would not trip the RCD, but together they did. RCBO's would have narrowed it down a lot quicker.

Try the dish washer or washing machinee sometime they trip curcuit in mid cycle they are a pain to find sometimes tell him to leave them off an see if it still does it!!!

even if the problem doesn't occur all the time, an ir test would indicate which circuit was more likely at fault. if this is a socket bearing circuit a temporary extension lead supplying the fish may prove useful. ( what does he have ? Electric eels?)

Does he live near a power station? sometimes crazy peaks, I've measured 270v next to ferrybridge, client always said lamps always blowing, now with rcd safety police on patrol it knocks all the friggin lot off when peak flow and a lamp 'pop's (well that bank)..the leccy company, errr what err not us. Oh yes it is. Now one rcd for shower, one rcd for kitchen ring. All other on cartridge fuses, no probs the lamps still pop but it don't knock the friggin lot off.

If the RCD is a wylex I would change for another. There was a spate of dodgy RCD's from Wylex that tripped for no reason. Apparently from a supplier in China> Had a recurrent problem with this and I changed RCD to Hager. No problemo!

Well, been to the clients tonight and they had a 'sparky' fit a small adaptable box outside for and o/s light. No drip loop and no rubber glands used. Opened box up and 200 litres of water fell out. "Oops" said the client - "won't be using them anymore, would you like the job of putting it right??"

DIY SOS!!!

Well done Cirrus. Glad you found the fault. Was just about to suggest you recommend the customer to "the cook book" and modify one of the trout recipes for his fish!!!! :D

all of the above ir test all circuits get customer to isolate i circuit at a time this may take some time depending on what random tripping time scale is sort out a circuit non rcd
for fish tank fridge freezer get back to him/her after hols good luck intermittent faults
are the worsed kind
goodluck

Reply to Fault finding help in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock