Discuss Fault Finding Practical 2330. in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

D

DerbyStudent

I was wondering if someone who has done this exam would be able to tell me what certain faults will have on the test results. I don't have a job and have to do this exam in a couple of weeks and while I know how to test I am feeling very unprepared for it.

I know that doing CPC check will find all the breaks in the circuit but I'm worried that i'll get the reading and not know what to say for the fault.. just wondering if someone on here would be able to give me a few tips about what to expect (obviously can't tell me what faults i'll get) but some tips that might be able to help me along!

I was wondering if someone who has done this exam would be able to tell me what certain faults will have on the test results. I don't have a job and have to do this exam in a couple of weeks and while I know how to test I am feeling very unprepared for it.

I know that doing CPC check will find all the breaks in the circuit but I'm worried that i'll get the reading and not know what to say for the fault.. just wondering if someone on here would be able to give me a few tips about what to expect (obviously can't tell me what faults i'll get) but some tips that might be able to help me along!

I can't explain things very well and I haven't taken the exam myself yet, but I'll give it a go.

You'll be told there's a fault on this circuit, and the RCD won't reset (just an example). Let's say it's a lighting circuit. You'd do an IR test, and probably find a low reading between L & E. Remember you're not expected to start taking the board to pieces, so you can't narrow it down to anything. You'll be asked to explain it ("this is an earth fault, the reading indicates continuity between L & E so whenever the circuit is energised the RCD will trip. To rectify I'd check the insulation hasn't been knicked by the screws in the accessory, and if that's fine then I'd start disconnecting parts of the circuit to find which piece of cable the fault is on, and replace it"). As I said, I'm much better in practice than explaining it so if anyone wants to correct me feel free!

You'll repeat a lot of your answers!

Edit to add more.

Is your board going to be live when you do it? If so you might be given an RCD fault. To find this you'd do a ramp test; it either won't trip, or will be too sensitive and trip too soon. To rectify this you'd replace the RCD/RCBO.

You might be given a motor. The fault with this will be either A) in the wiring to the contactor, or B) the wiring of the contactor itself. You should (I don't know if it's the same at all colleges) be given a wiring diagram for the contactor, and it's as simple as making sure it's connected up correctly. If this is OK then the fault will be on the wiring to the contactor. Apparently they'll energise the board and show you what the motor is doing to give you an indication of what/where the fault is.

Broken conductors, simple enough. The answer is "replace this bit of cable" after pinpointing the faulty length.

You might be given wrong polarity on an Edison screw, again this is simple enough.

Last edited by a moderator:
Got mine soon, You may get a high resistance fault for your R1 & R2 CPC or shortcircuit or low resistance fault for your insulation resistance we have being told that we have got to tell them what the fault is and high resistance low resistance etc

There are 20 faults which are switched in. You are given a description of the problem which will give you a clue as to where to start testing, eg if the customer is getting shocks, check the bonding.
All of the faults can be identified using continuity or IR tests.

When you have identified the faults and explained how to rectify them (there are about 6) you will need to test the 'installation' including live testing, then write it all down.

Reply to Fault Finding Practical 2330. in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock