Discuss Fault Finding - Ring : Techniques? in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Currently have an unknown fault on a ring circuit on a job i've been on, not had time to look as it was end of the day, wanting to know everyones techniques in finding faults on a ring in a house, as how the house is wired isnt going to be straight forward etc... your comments please

Unplug everything on the circuit.

Disconnect any neon fuse spurs / sensitive fixed appliances

Complete an IR test on circuit - if circuit ok - find faulty appliance.

If fault still on circuit - split circuit in the middle and IR test each leg.

Keep splitting the circuit on the leg where the fault remains untill the fault is found.

Repair / Replace / sorted

Warren

Last edited by a moderator:
A TDR can be a helpful instrument in finding where the fault is, distance wise. If you have a half-decent idea of how the circuit is likely run, the TDR reading will give you a better idea of the distance at which you should begin to "divide and conquer".

A TDR can be a helpful instrument in finding where the fault is, distance wise. If you have a half-decent idea of how the circuit is likely run, the TDR reading will give you a better idea of the distance at which you should begin to "divide and conquer".

mdshunk

I think most contractors don't know what a TDR is let alone know how to use one.:eek:

Unplug everything on the circuit.

Disconnect any neon fuse spurs / sensitive fixed appliances

Complete an IR test on circuit - if circuit ok - find faulty appliance.

If fault still on circuit - split circuit in the middle and IR test each leg.

Keep splitting the circuit on the leg where the fault remains untill the fault is found.

Repair / Replace / sorted

Warren

Dumb question and will prob kick my self once you say, but how do i find the middle of the ring ?

Thanks

Dumb question and will prob kick my self once you say, but how do i find the middle of the ring ?

Thanks

You can find the approx middle of the cable run by cross connecting the lives and cpcs and finding the highest r1 r2 reading but this may not be where the middle of the outlet quantities are
The best way I find is split the ring at the consumer unit and a hopefull central socket energise the clear legs and check which outlets are now live
and go from there

You can find the approx middle of the cable run by cross connecting the lives and cpcs and finding the highest r1 r2 reading but this may not be where the middle of the outlet quantities are
The best way I find is split the ring at the consumer unit and a hopefull central socket energise the clear legs and check which outlets are now live
and go from there

You should be glad I'm not your boss as if I caught you doing the later you would be looking for a new job, a dangerous practice if I ever heard one. :eek:

You have an accident doing that and the HSE will be over you like the plague:eek:.

Thanks

There is no easy way or answer.
All you can do is assertain which sockets are on the ring and and work out how you would wire it yourself. Then hope the origional electrician run it the same.
Good luck.

You should be glad I'm not your boss as if I caught you doing the later you would be looking for a new job, a dangerous practice if I ever heard one. :eek:

You have an accident doing that and the HSE will be over you like the plague

:eek:.

When a fault is cleared
Even if what was once a ring main now becomes a radial
Connecting that radial to an appropriate sized MCb and energising that circuit to ascertain the supplied outlets is standard SAFE practise
Where in your comment does the DANGEROUS PRACTISE reference apply to

If I were your boss I would ask where comments that you have given are contradictory to safety or regulations
If you had a lighting radial with a damaged cable during a fault finding excersise
If the replacement of that cable at that time was unable to be carried out
Would you not clear the faulty section of that radial in order to re-supply some of the lighting of the customer
The advise given is no different
My SAFE working advise will stand

A TDR meter would be ideal as the LCD screen would not only show where the fault is in terms of distance, but would also show how many joints existed in the circuit (a socket connection would be considered a joint) The TDR meter would also indicate if the fault was high or low resistance.
TDR meters are used extensivly is the communications industry and they are not cheap.

A TDR meter would be ideal as the LCD screen would not only show where the fault is in terms of distance, but would also show how many joints existed in the circuit (a socket connection would be considered a joint) The TDR meter would also indicate if the fault was high or low resistance.
TDR meters are used extensivly is the communications industry and they are not cheap.

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to Fault Finding - Ring : Techniques? in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock