Discuss FAULT FINDING USING CONTINUITY TESTER ONLY in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi all & thanks in advance for the time.

I'm due on Monday to complete my trade test. (FICA IN SCOTLAND) The part of my test i am to undertake is Fault Finding and rectification. For the test i will be put in a booth by the assessor and issued a job card that briefly describes the circumstances of the fault Eg; the light is iinoperable. From this information & by using only a markingdale continuity Buzzer i need to find out the location of the fault and the type of fault Eg; open circuit on live conductor between switch and light, rewire length of cable.

So can anyone give me any other examples of how you would locate a fault using only a Martindale Continuity meter and how you would rectify said fault? I will attach a photo of the continuity tester as it is very basic.

Thanks once again.

Another example i have is if i am testing a circuit and i have continuity from my one end of my live conductor to the other but i also have continuity between the neutral and live conductor but no Continuity between both ends of the neutral the fault i have would be a short circuit. This would be confirmed if the breaker was constantly tripping and the circuit didn't function and would be rectified by rewiring the damaged part of the cable.

Do you have a Multi function Tester? sorry Mate do they issue you with the test equipment would have been a better question.

Your assessor will be looking for you to find the fault and rectify BEFORE energising the circuit. The breaker tripping or not is not used a satisfactory method of successful fault finding.

I believe the lighting is a 2-way circuit? Its been a long time since I did my FICA.
Someone correct me here, but I seem to recall these booths have a hidden bank of switches that the assessor uses that simulate actual faults on the trainees side. He wont ask you to rewire it physically, but simply for you to tell him what the problem is, and where it is likely to be.

You just need to understand which conductors should give continuity, and which shouldn't. Figure out what you need for it to work regarding live, switchwire and neutral, and/or strappers (pass wires, whatever you call them)
Remove the lamp, as it will show as a live to neutral short circuit and lead to possible confusion.

littlespark has covered it I think. But you may find it helpful to draw the wiring diagram of the circuit in question. Then you can use this as a guide - you are basically testing that things that should be connected together are indeed connected, and things that shouldn't be connected together aren't. And obviously testing continuity of the switch in the closed position.

You “only” need to find short circuit, open circuit, reversed polarity and earth fault. Only one of these faults will be present for each question. If you think about it, all of these can be found using a continuity tester. Read the question thoroughly as it gives real clues where to look and what to test.
Good luck!

Half split the circuit you are working. So find continuity from the start to the mid point. Or from mid point to the end. You can then eliminate one side of the ciruit and do the same again until you find the fault. You should be able to energise a circuit to see what type you have. As a cross circuit fault would be easy to spot in live conditions

Apologies for the delay in replying I have been studying for my test that I have tomorrow morning.

Little spark has described the booth very well. The assessor introduces the fault by a switch room and i need to find said fault on the specified circuit using only a continuity Buzzer and record a means to rectify the fault. I was just wondering if anyone on here had any tips for me regarding how a fault would show using a continuity tester.

For example if the fault card tells me " the light is not functioning and the breaker is not tripping" & I test between my light and switch and I do not have continuity between both ends of my switchwire. I would record an open circuit fault on my switchwire and I would rectify the fault by re wiring the switch wire. This would also correspond with the breaker not Tripping as an open circuit fault would not cause the breaker to trip. The breaker would only trip if there was a short circuit or an earth fault.

Does anyone else have any examples like this?

When i did one of those test it was the light bulb that had blown so use you continuity tester to test the bulb first. PS yes i do know bulbs grow in the garden ☺

I think you would wise to draw the circuit out now, before you have your assessment. Think about how each point should either be connected or not conected with each other point. Then, at your assessment, first ensure the circuit is complete, ie. no open circuits. Then check nothing is shorted together that shouldn't be, ie. no short circuits.

Your assessor will be looking for you to find the fault and rectify BEFORE energising the circuit. The breaker tripping or not is not used a satisfactory method of successful fault finding.

I believe the lighting is a 2-way circuit? Its been a long time since I did my FICA.
Someone correct me here, bu. He wont ask you to rewire it physically, but simply for you to tell him what the problem is, and where it is likely to be.

You just need to understand which conductors should give continuity, and which shouldn't. Figure out what you need for it to work regarding live, switchwire and neutral, and/or strappers (pass wires, whatever you call them)
Remove the lamp, as it will show as a live to neutral short circuit and lead to possible confusion.
J remember when I was doing my AM2 the assessor flicked the switch. The continuity tester sort of bleeped quieter than it should have.

I put this down as a high resistance joint.

There was a fault on his simulator switch. We agreed it was open circuit

Someone correct me here, bu. He wont ask you to rewire it physically, but simply for you to tell him what the problem is, and where it is likely to be.

J remember when I was doing my AM2 the assessor flicked the switch. The continuity tester sort of bleeped quieter than it should have.

I put this down as a high resistance joint.

There was a fault on his simulator switch. We agreed it was open circuit

Really important that you understand what the four possible faults are (see my earlier post).

There is only one fault per card.

The faults are ALL wiring faults (not things like a broken switch, faulty lamp etc).

So for example - a three phase motor runs, but not smoothly. What does this suggest? A loss of one phase? So, test continuity of each phase, from db to starter and from starter to motor box. Identify which phase and where fault lies. Your answer may be something like “ open circuit fault on L1 conductor between dB and starter; rewire L1 conductor between dB and starter; retest”.

Reply to FAULT FINDING USING CONTINUITY TESTER ONLY in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net