Discuss fault finding..... in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

W

webby_58

hi everyone newbie here...

i have recently passed my part 2 technical course & 17th edition and want to move into domestic electrical services. i have done a few small jobs for people gaining more experience as i go.

am waiting to do my test and inspect 2392 course, but have been asked to look at a light for someone that keeps trippng his fuse box - not sure if mcb or rcd as yet. i do have a 17th edition multifunction tester, could someone advise me of the correct series of tests to do to find the fault if not as simple as a loose connection. thanks in advance... IW​

first, a visual inspection of light fitting and switch, with power isolated. most of these faults are down to shorts, trapped conductors etc. at terminations. next check to see if a nail or screw has been put through cable above switch. if nothing obvious, use your tester on insulation resistance ( IR ). disconnect all 3 conductors in CU and measure L/E and N/E with switch on and off. ( anything under 2 meg is suspect, and will cause RCD trip). if it,s MCB tripping, then a short between L/N could be the culprit.

Reply to fault finding..... in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

Evening all, I had a quick Friday afternoon domestic job that has turned into a PITA and I'd appreciate your help. While adding some new lights...
Replies
Views
Hi folks, Quick query for this still practicing regarding bill payment for a job not complete. My partner recently employed an electrician to do...
Replies
Views
Hi all I don't appear to be able to post in the DIY forum so apologies if this is the wrong place. I live in a block of flats with an external...
Replies
Views
I need your help please once again in tracing a fault. Am DIY but not clueless. Converting former kitchen into 2 rooms: bathroom and laundry. The...
Replies
Views
Hi There is a lighting circuit fault in a property with the downstairs lighting circuit. I have tested the voltage and there is 230v on both...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock