Discuss Fault Finding in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

G

gavinrawls

If some one told you that their rcd was tripping out regulary what would be a good procedure for finding the fault. quick and easy preferebly.

testing would be a good idea. start with IR tests. (assuming it's not an appliance causing the problem)

Ramp test the RCD at the board.
If that is satisfactory then IR test all circuits protected by the RCD.
If the wiring is satisfactory then you're down to an appliance.
This is when an earth leakage clamp meter becomes your best friend.

Well like all fault finding you need to break it down and be methodicle so before you take the tools out the box you ask questions like when does it trip ie 19:00 every day what is switched on when it trips. Main culprats can be the kettle toaster iron but thats ok because the owner says ever time I switch on the say kettle it trips if all this fails then you take the circuit connected to the RCD and again break it down if this shows nothing also test the RCD for operation and tripping.

On one job I told the customer there was an intermittant fault O yea he said so I said when does it trip he said around 7 at night and anytime over the weekend so I asked what is switched on not a lot he said but his wife pipped up and said well the dishwasher most of the time so I said do me a favour its Monday so dont switch the dishwasher on until tomorrow morning what wil that prove sure enough gets a call at 10 in the morning yep it tripped while the dishwasher was on and it never tripped on monday night

Oldtimer

"break it down" - not like MC Hammer though. His breaking it down would be inappropriate in a fault finding situation.

Full of pain killers I am

pain killers for what?

i bought some pain killers for the ex-wife, but they diddn't work, she's still living.

Just to add I have noticed that guys learning about electrics come on the site and ask the Ze is 0.09 ohms is it a TNS /TNCS or why does the RCD not trip so here is a lesson when you are on the job get a pad and take as many readings as you can ie Ze PSc, PSSC,IR Zs dont hold info to memory or the back of a smoke packet

Reply to Fault Finding in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock