Discuss fault finding in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

I expect you'll get some interesting answers. I think the thing with fault finding is that it's not something you can teach people to find all the different faults as such, there's too many of them and there can also be combinations of several faults on the same circuit. You teach people the method and procedure and once they've grasped it they can find any faults that are thrown at them.

It's a two stage event, firstly you establish what faults are present then you set about localizing and remedying them. Every circuit is different and so are the faults, the permutations are pretty much infinite.

I have always thought of fault finding as an Art. It also depends what you are fault finding on Imo by that i mean i would say fault finding in an house is 10 times easier than fault finding on a control circuit on a complex machine, 2 totally different beasts.
It takes many years of experience to become good at fault finding and I don't think it is something that you can master in a classroom.

I have encountered many a great installation electrician come unstuck on a fault, I think you have to have a puzzle solving mindset to be good at it. Just my opinion by the way.

Speak to the missus, she's always able to find faults!
Joking aside, as Marvo said try to narrow the search. As all above say, a lot comes with experience e.g. looking for something that is 'different', or outside fittings, etc.
If you can't find videos on fault finding, there are other testing videos on the net. Testing should show you faults, so perhaps start there. Good luck

I won't repeat what's been said.

Every fault is different, so it's kind of a learn as you go and educated guesses narrowing the area down.

Sometimes I still get baffled then it's something simple that wasn't apparent.

Fault finding is basically a process of elimination, it's not based on or around educated guesses... especially on installations you have little knowledge of.
Being methodical using the correct test equipment and understanding/interpreting what that test equipment is telling you, will always identify where the fault lies, or at the very least, localise as to where to fault will be (as in an inaccessible length of cable, say under floorboards etc...)

Fault finding covers a vast area, from basic fixed wiring, through to component level of plant panels and it's control wiring and everything inbetween...

Something i used to really enjoy during my time in the industrial sector. Those were the days of massive panels, full of relays, latch relays, contactors and just about everything else you can think of!!! lol!!

Reply to fault finding in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock