Discuss Fault on lighting circuit - What am I missing? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

rolyberkin

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I had a 10 minute look at an existing fault yesterday as walking out of a customers house as it was way past beer o'clock, the circuit is from a dual RCD board. Serves lighting in a loft conversion with balcony (outside lights) en suit, downlights shaver socket, bathroom fan and central pendant.

Tested IR which was very low at 13.44MΩ between joined live/neutral and earth and no continuity on earth and neutral and live conductors.

Energised circuit and everything was fine, then decided to test RCD and then the circuit tripped the RCD, both RCD's are ramp testing okay. Now continuity shows resistance between live/neutral and earth around 66Ω.

Thinking a nail through a cable/neutral fault somewhere but trying to work out in my head why it all energised okay and then tripped and fault re appeared during the RCD ramp test? Any suggestions or previous experience of this from anyone? (Going back monday morning!)

Sorry roly, being a bit thick. Can't understand your post. Circuit energises, but when does the RCD trip?
Tested it as the customer stated it was tripping and although low readings tested out okay. I then energised and all was okay, lights came on etc. I had moved the lighting circuit to the second RCD as thought the first may be dodgy so then ramp tested both RCD's. After ramp testing the RCD's the fault re appeared, definitely a neutral fault, just trying to work out the link between the ramp test and fault or just coincidence?

Last edited:
Could be an ordinary intermittent fault i.e. something just about touching, varying between the two extremes you got. 66Ω could be something just barely touching metal-metal, or could be a fault in series with a load. If it's unstable, it's probably an intermittent, if it's stable it's probably through a load. In that case the 13MΩ may have been with the load switched off and 66Ω with it on. I don't see a direct connection with the ramp test other than that you energised the circuit.

Found an untraceable core of a three core and earth which had been earth sleeved and put into the earth bar, as soon as I removed it all the IR results shot up!? Then immediately found a neutral core which had been shorting on a back box, could have been either but by that time had lost the will to live and decided not to try to replicate it!:)

Reply to Fault on lighting circuit - What am I missing? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net