Discuss Fault on MI cables on outside ligting circuit in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

rolyberkin

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I may be being a numpty but here goes, I had three hours today to sort this out and had to leave it disconnected in the end as had other urgent committments.

Client has an outside light which is tripping RCD, this is fed via a fused switch from a rfc this circuit also feeds an adjacent fuse switch which supplies a number of pond pumps, all connections are made in a metal junction box from which 5 x swa cables are connected, two of which feed switch and provide 3 x returns to then go onto feed 3 x seperate 3 core swa cables which in turn then are connected externally to 3 x 2 core MI cables to feed 3 x external lights.

With me so far.............?

The insulation resistance of external light feeds are low, 1.10Mohm 1.12 Mohm and the third shows a fault bertween connected live and neutral and earth as I cacall about 0.5ohm I think a downpipe has leaked near the end of the MI cable and possibly soaked the end.

I disconnected all lights with a view to return later in the week to rectify and then the pond circuit started to trip the RCD which before had been running fine, the pond circuit shares an earth with the lighting circuits via a metal junction box but all the neutrals were all disconnected, I cannot understand why the RCD is now tripping a different circuit which was previously fine uless the RCD is on it's way out? The circuit is fine until the pond pump and UV filters are energised.

Any ideas before I go back especially with regards to the MI cable, if I strip back the end and remake is this likely to help the IR readings?

I may be being a numpty but here goes, I had three hours today to sort this out and had to leave it disconnected in the end as had other urgent committments.

Client has an outside light which is tripping RCD, this is fed via a fused switch from a rfc this circuit also feeds an adjacent fuse switch which supplies a number of pond pumps, all connections are made in a metal junction box from which 5 x swa cables are connected, two of which feed switch and provide 3 x returns to then go onto feed 3 x seperate 3 core swa cables which in turn then are connected externally to 3 x 2 core MI cables to feed 3 x external lights.

With me so far.............?

The insulation resistance of external light feeds are low, 1.10Mohm 1.12 Mohm and the third shows a fault bertween connected live and neutral and earth as I cacall about 0.5ohm I think a downpipe has leaked near the end of the MI cable and possibly soaked the end.

I disconnected all lights with a view to return later in the week to rectify and then the pond circuit started to trip the RCD which before had been running fine, the pond circuit shares an earth with the lighting circuits via a metal junction box but all the neutrals were all disconnected, I cannot understand why the RCD is now tripping a different circuit which was previously fine uless the RCD is on it's way out? The circuit is fine until the pond pump and UV filters are energised.

Any ideas before I go back especially with regards to the MI cable, if I strip back the end and remake is this likely to help the IR readings?
If it was my job I would isolate supply, disconnect all the cables and test them IO wise individually. Before you go stripping down the MI end , make sure you have the correct replacement gland, pot etc,if it's an old install the MI will probably be Imperial so tracing a new gland, pot etc may prove difficult.

If it was my job I would isolate supply, disconnect all the cables and test them IO wise individually. Before you go stripping down the MI end , make sure you have the correct replacement gland, pot etc,if it's an old install the MI will probably be Imperial so tracing a new gland, pot etc may prove difficult.
I agree, have all the tools but last made off an MI cable in 1986 as I recall! I wondered whether to just run a new tuff cable next to it, quite an old building so they are keen to retain the MI for aesthetics.

If the pot has been made correctly on the MI it should be water tight.

However if you cut the end to re make (only after making sure it is the cable at fault.

You can usually dry the ends out by running a blow torch over the cable in the direction that's been cut.

Reply to Fault on MI cables on outside ligting circuit in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock