Discuss Fault on ring but ok as 2 radials? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

V

VWFAN

Hi, iam wondering if anyone can give me some advice, i have a fault on a ring where there is short between live - earth on the IR test, but when split into 2 x radials there is no fault. When as 2 x radials all results are >999 but when its then connected as a ring the readings are between 802 and upto 840, there is 11 legs on the ring and all have been sripped down and each leg tested individually and all are fine, i even done and IR test on all the sockets just on the off chance.

The ring is a complete ring with no spurs etc in a new build house less than 5 years old, ive been told there have been 4 sparks before me but nothing been done.

Iam at a loss here and have spent too many hours on it already, apart from a rewire iam at a loss, even if i was to rewire there is no specific leg that is faulty when tested individualy.

Any advice would be much appriciated.

as above. if readings are 800+ meg., what's the problem? a bit of warm breath on the crocs will give worse than that.

When you split it into two radials does it matter where the split is made to get rid of the "short"? If so it may be the fitting where the join is made. When you do the testing are all the accessories in place? It could be fitting them causes the "short". If you break the ring in a different place with all the accessories fitted does the result change?

You can make it two radials but assuming 2.5mm cable you would need to put 20A MCB as protection for each radial, I am assuming that putting two radials onto one 20A may be excessive but you would need to work out the max load.

Are you looking for an RCD tripping fault? Tracking down an IR fault of 802 and 840 megohms (I'm assuming the test result was from a mega tester) is great practice if you've got lots of spare time but it's not going to achieve anything.

usually get good IR readings with singles in wooden channelling

Your all talking to yourselves here... VWFAN hasn't been around to answer any queries or give any further information since his OP!! So we don't know if he's talking about 800 ohms, 800 Kohms, or 800 Mohms!!

I must admit I assumed the readings were Ohms. If MOhms what a waste of time. Please tell us it was not 800MOhm.

and >999 what? and he's got the only RFC in creation with 11 legs, that's half a football team. i always thought a RFC had 2 legs.

Reply to Fault on ring but ok as 2 radials? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock