Discuss Fault on socket circuit in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

I didn't know that ring mains weren't used anymore, although I independently stopped using rings ages ago. Whenever, I encounter an old ring, I assume it is broken and downgrade to 20amp.

He doesn't mean the ring form isn't used any more. He means the terminology for a domestic ring circuit is 'RFC' and has been for some time.

Surely you don't just downgrade every ring circuit you come across as a matter of course??

He doesn't mean the ring form isn't used any more. He means the terminology for a domestic ring circuit is 'RFC' and has been for some time.

Surely you don't just downgrade every ring circuit you come across as a matter of course??
If I do work on it I do, with the possible exception of a kitchen or utilities circuit, since they might need the extra juice. NICEIC assessor thought it was a good idea. Besides, I thought the UK was moving away from rings, since they were originally used for old school heating systems.

I do know what ring final circuit is, I just haven't heard it referred to as RFC.

I didn't know that ring mains weren't used anymore, although I independently stopped using rings ages ago. Whenever, I encounter an old ring, I assume it is broken and downgrade to 20amp.
Why?

If I do work on it I do, with the possible exception of a kitchen or utilities circuit, since they might need the extra juice. NICEIC assessor thought it was a good idea. Besides, I thought the UK was moving away from rings, since they were originally used for old school heating systems.

Each to their own.
Not originally for heating systems no - just for general domestic use. Copper shortages and all that.

Ahh the good old NICEIC says it’s good. Why leave a kitchen on a ring and not other circuits?

You mean you are a member of a CPScheme as you say you had a NICEIC Assessor look at your work?

Because it is safer to assume the ring is broken and downgrade. It's rare that someone needs 32 amps anymore.

Fluke socket tester
Fluke multimeter
Fluke multifunction tester, i.e. installation tester
Why use 3 items of test equipment when one of those listed is all that that you needed to use? What is the make and model of your multifunction tester?

Ahh the good old NICEIC says it’s good. Why leave a kitchen on a ring and not other circuits?
I don't necessarily and might sometimes downgrade it. However, if I do a full rewire, I tend to do the ground, 1st floor, etc., as a radial on a 20amp. I put the kitchen on a ring (32amp), simply because the appliances might demand it.

I don't necessarily and might sometimes downgrade it. However, if I do a full rewire, I tend to do the ground, 1st floor, etc., as a radial on a 20amp. I put the kitchen on a ring (32amp), simply because the appliances might demand it.
Hang on you mentioned existing circuits. Not new ones.

Reply to Fault on socket circuit in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock