Discuss Fault Q in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Ross1

-
Reaction score
Hi guys, my question is regarding a vertical baler (paper crusher). The initial problem was that when pressing the start button to begin the crushing process nothing was happening. The company who supplied the machine 10 years ago will not send me the schematics. After checking the obvious, I started tracing wires, i then discovered a pressure switch on the back of the machine which even though the ram was under no pressure, was in a normally open state. I then bypassed the switch to find that the problem seemed to be fixed. I obviously had to stop the crusher manually with the latching stop. I then realised that the limit switch on the ram was not stopping the downward movement, which it surely must, even though I have bridged the pressure switch.

Any idea's guys. The machine in question is a single phase VB 56 Baler supplied by a company called Pakawaste.

Thanks

get someone who knows what they are doing , these machines have sensors everywhere , i wouldnt recomend bypassing any , or someone will end up hurt

Hi guys, my question is regarding a vertical baler (paper crusher). The initial problem was that when pressing the start button to begin the crushing process nothing was happening. The company who supplied the machine 10 years ago will not send me the schematics. After checking the obvious, I started tracing wires, i then discovered a pressure switch on the back of the machine which even though the ram was under no pressure, was in a normally open state. I then bypassed the switch to find that the problem seemed to be fixed. I obviously had to stop the crusher manually with the latching stop. I then realised that the limit switch on the ram was not stopping the downward movement, which it surely must, even though I have bridged the pressure switch.

Any idea's guys. The machine in question is a single phase VB 56 Baler supplied by a company called Pakawaste.

Thanks

Are you working for the company that owns this baling machine, or a electrician/contractor that has been asked by the company to fix this machine?? If you work for the owner of this machine, then it is up to them to insist on a schematic drawing being provided by the manufacturers. One should have been provided at point of sale/delivery. Has that copy been lost/mislaid??

As for you by-passing switches/sensors, not exactly very intelligent thing to do is it!! Just wait to Netblindpaul see's this thread, you'll be in for a right ole rollicking!! lol!!

Thanks

I hope you or you’re company are insured. Though incompetence / negligence may nullify it.

Isolate the machine until a new pressure switch is fitted and tested.

Surely he only bypassed pressure switch temporarily to help locate the fault

The OP has made alot of assumptions here and il have to agree with Tony here (i owe him that anyway), if you suspect a part then replace it with a identical or alternative part before trying the machine ..... unless you are fully familiar with the wiring and operation sequence and consequences of bypassing functional parts then you shouldn't be bypassing anything. Is it to be assume the pressure switch is at fault and maybe its function is N/O as oppose to N/C in said position...... the machine has stopped working but maybe as a fail safe and thus unless you are fully competent with the operation and machine design you should never try resolve issues by bypassing functions as you may be wrong and you may damage the machine or injure the operator or yourself if not worse.

A friend of mine has just been de-gloved as he was the mechanical engineer working with an electrician on a machine where the electrician wasn't aware of the full function and sequence of the machine, he accidently set the machine running while in the control panel while the engineer was inside the machine fencing....as engineers we have to bypass safety gates to do our job but someone didn't know how to do his!

Reply to Fault Q in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock