Discuss faults, cables spur from mcb. in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

K

KNIPEX

i did a perodic test today and have opened a right can of worms.

have to say cant switch main switch of in db so

1st circuit, switch of the mcb disconnect the line from the breaker, disconnect the neutral, and its sparks, ok wrong neutral, however while that cable is still out of the n bar and the same phase is out of the mcb the phase cable becomes live, even though its out of the breaker ???? 170v on it.

put the neutral back in, pull out another neutral and the phase cable becomes live again, only way to stop this is switch off another 3 mcb. a right mess.

2nd prob they have spured off the 32a mcb in the db 2.5 to feed sockets down the other end of the building.
a big no think im right in saying that you can only spur once from a socket outlet not from the mcb.

also in another location they have spured of a double s/o to a single s/o in 2.5, that fine. but then spured of the single to feed another single, bushed together so even though its really a double s/o as such as its so close its still been spured off, again NO not allowed

your views on this would be intresting, thanks.

im back there tommorow to continue my investigation, i dread to think what i might find :(

I think you are allowed to run a spur direct from the MCB to one socket only as long as it is on the same breaker as the ring. If it then went to a second socket you are effectivly spuring off a spur which is not allowed.

I also remember reading that you can only spur the same number of sockes as on the actual circuit and these must be from the back of an existing socket or using a JB.

Last edited by a moderator:
i think you might find that 2 1g sockets will be ok as total load will only be 26A
but appendix 15 does'nt show this set up

i did a perodic test today and have opened a right can of worms.

have to say cant switch main switch of in db so

1st circuit, switch of the mcb disconnect the line from the breaker, disconnect the neutral, and its sparks, ok wrong neutral, however while that cable is still out of the n bar and the same phase is out of the mcb the phase cable becomes live, even though its out of the breaker ???? 170v on it.

put the neutral back in, pull out another neutral and the phase cable becomes live again, only way to stop this is switch off another 3 mcb. a right mess.

2nd prob they have spured off the 32a mcb in the db 2.5 to feed sockets down the other end of the building.
a big no think im right in saying that you can only spur once from a socket outlet not from the mcb.

also in another location they have spured of a double s/o to a single s/o in 2.5, that fine. but then spured of the single to feed another single, bushed together so even though its really a double s/o as such as its so close its still been spured off, again NO not allowed

your views on this would be intresting, thanks.

im back there tommorow to continue my investigation, i dread to think what i might find :(

Hi mate sounds like a right pain this one just wanted to say you can have a spur from the mcb as long as you only have one single or one double its just one more example of where diversity is allowed

In the onsite guide, appendix 8.2.4 it states that in a A1 ring and A2 radial circuit a non-fused spur should feed only 1 single or 1 twin/multiple socket outlet. Such spur should be connected to the circuit at the terminals or a socket-outlet or junction box or at the origin of the circuit in the distribution board.

Hope this helps

I would suggest telling the customer that you are going to have to drop the power untill you can rectify the system. For both yours and their safety.

Unless of course they would like to work on a live board?.........:D

thanks for the replies guys, very helpful:)

really intrested on your views on the first prob aswell, had anything like this before??etc

We were taught at college (a while ago maybe:)) that spurring from an mcb is perfectly acceptable (only for single outlet though).

why not?

We were taught at college (a while ago maybe:)) that spurring from an mcb is perfectly acceptable (only for single outlet though).

why not?

whats the feeling on spuring off the ring 32amp mcb with 2.5 t&e -I've seen this alot and when I see this I think to myself I would not do it.

here is another one for you, ringmain wired in 4mm2 singles, off 32a mcb, then spured of the socket is 5 double s/o on 4mm2 i know 4mm2 is ok for 32amp however your still spuring of a spur.

have to agree with the above yes neutrals mixed up, however that should cause the line cable to become live when its out of the mcb??

Yup....Unfused spur straight from the ring cct MCB in the dist board.....17th says its fine....

Just so I've got it straight in my head, in this 32amp breaker you have both ends of a ring (2 cables 2.5mm) and then some one has also added a spur, another 2.5mm phase, 3 cables into one breaker?
If this is the case, the ring is protected by the breaker. the spur is not, 27amps max for 2.5mm.
Obviously if you have one socket you can only draw 13amps, two sockets and your close to fire with no chance of the mcb tripping? Am I thinking along the correct lines?

It is absolutely fine to spur from the cu see pg 362 in your 17th edition regs if you dont have it maybe its time you updated.read the part about an unfused fuse spur.

Just so I've got it straight in my head, in this 32amp breaker you have both ends of a ring (2 cables 2.5mm) and then some one has also added a spur, another 2.5mm phase, 3 cables into one breaker?
If this is the case, the ring is protected by the breaker. the spur is not, 27amps max for 2.5mm.
Obviously if you have one socket you can only draw 13amps, two sockets and your close to fire with no chance of the mcb tripping? Am I thinking along the correct lines?

this is what they call diversity theres not a great chance it will draw 26a unless you used say 2 heaters and then the regs advise if you were to use electric heating you should wire a radial just for that and not put it on the ring as a ring in thefirst place is designed to share the load, its also the same with ceiling pendants technically th0.5 flex supplying the light is protected by a 5/6 or even a 10 amp fuse and we all know the smallest we can use is a 1.0mm but we also know a light bulb wont use that much current so diversity is applied.

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to faults, cables spur from mcb. in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock