Discuss Faulty cu in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

G

Guest111

Faulty cu snake - EletriciansForums.netFaulty cu snake2 - EletriciansForums.net This was what I found when I was called to a shop for a report of a hissing noise coming from a cu a few years ago,as you can see from pic 1 problem was caused by an incorrectly installed snake,removed same and advised client not to connect anything to supply that was not to correct british standard lol

Well whats clear here is the snake is incorrectly coloured coded, even im confused as to where it should be terminated,,,,, well i think it terminated itself on this occasion.

The snake installation was actually neater than some of the other wiring in there :)

It's not uncommon to find them in panels around here but usually external ones. I think they slide in through a hole or a gap then after eating the other critters that are living in there they're too fat to get back out again.

It turned out that it had escaped from a house further down the street of terraced houses and arrived via the cavity,thinking was that it mistook the tails for small snakes and crawled in to join them,quite funny really as there was a bit of a stand off between me and a local chap who we called out as he kept snakes.The creature was still alive when I arrived and after pulling service fuse and finding it alive we sent for him,he assured me it was a corn snake and harmless but didn,t want to touch it as he didn,t like electric,and didnt believe the supply was dead I wasn,t prepared to touch snake as I didnt know what it was, eventually after convincing him the supply was dead he removed snake.It was nearly 3 feet long and lived for several hours afterwards.

Its one zany catch 22 situation
We have a spark who is afraid of the fuse box snake, and a snake guy afraid of the fuse box

Its just as well the cut out fuse was available or the stand off could have gone on for hours lol

Great thanks for this now not only do I have to watch out for live cables when I remove the cover I have to watch out for snakes. I'm with DS I would have jumped a mile, not because I'm especially scared of snakes but its just about the most unlikely thing I would expect to see lol!!

thinking was that it mistook the tails for small snakes and crawled in to join them

The two things that generally attract snakes are food/water and heat. It looks fairly well fed and I doubt there's any shortage of water around in the UK so I'm guessing the latter.

It angers me greatly that people in emergency situations are deciding not to wait a few days for the DNO to turn up to isolate :D :frown2: :wink5:

Reply to Faulty cu in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock