Discuss Faulty Extension Light Circuit in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Stuart Lane

-
DIY
Reaction score
I had an extension fitted and a single circuit added for the light. However, the light will only operate from the MCB and not the switch. As soon as I introduce the switch into the circuit and operate it from there it trips the MCB and will not stay on. Any thoughts on what might be causing this?

when it works, is the switch in the on or the off position?

problem would appear to be in the switch or in back of it. surgical removal is an option.electricians are cheaper than surgeons.

Sounds like someone may have dropped a three core down, one core being the neutral but they have connected it to a two way switch, maybe?

It was done by an electrician. I thought it might be the switch and then the light fitting / chandelier. I have tried different light fittings and problem remains. Wiring to light contains 2 Live, 2 Neutral and 2 Earth wires but I guess this is normal.

Warranty - No but I can live with the problem as there are other lights close enough.

2 Way switching shorting line to neutral - explain!

A two way switch will have three terminals, a common, L1 and L2. The common will switch across to either L1 or L2 depending on its position. It is possible a neutral has ended up in L1 or L2 causing a short when you switch it.

It was done by an electrician. I thought it might be the switch and then the light fitting / chandelier. I have tried different light fittings and problem remains. Wiring to light contains 2 Live, 2 Neutral and 2 Earth wires but I guess this is normal.

Warranty - No but I can live with the problem as there are other lights close enough.

2 Way switching shorting line to neutral - explain!
So have you fitted a new light?

Did you just join all the browns, blues and green/yellow together?

the problem is in your wiring at the light. you have connected a switch L to the N so that when the switch is on, you're shorting L-N.a 20 minute job for a competent spark. £40 -£50 inc.

Light Switch has 3 terminals - L1, L2 and Common - I joined Blue to Common and Brown to L1/L2.

Light Fitting - I joined the single blue to twin blues and single brown to twin browns.

So no attempt to answer the questions about the installation, testing, certificate.....

DIY alert

Light Switch has 3 terminals - L1, L2 and Common - I joined Blue to Common and Brown to L1/L2.

Light Fitting - I joined the single blue to twin blues and single brown to twin browns.
Call in a spark to sort out your DIY cock up.

Reply to Faulty Extension Light Circuit in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net