Discuss Faulty Freezer in the Electrical Appliances Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

A

anonymous

Hi, I was just wondering if any expert can offer me advice on the following.

After a manual defrost of an integrated freezer (CDA CW783) I put the freezer onto fast-freeze, which appeared to working normally. A few hours later the "Sockets" RCD tripped and wouldn't reset. I traced the fault to the freezer.

I checked the plug with a meter and there was continuity between Live and Earth and Neutral end earth.

I removed the freezer and disconnected the supply cable from the contacts in the freezer and tested the internal contacts which confirmed the short circuiting in the freezer.

The freezer is only 3 1/2 years old and will be the best part of £300 to replace. Is there any likelyhood that a simple to obtain/replace component had failed causing the short or is it almost certainly likely to be junk? If so what should I look for?

I was thinking maybe a capacitor has broken down internally or some such - there does appear to be something that looks like it might be a largish capacitor inserted into a body attached to the compressor with two tabs sticking out of the base - only one has a wire attached (black) I can't recall tracing this wire but I think it went to one of the live contacts of the supply.

The two tabs of the component had continuity between them.

Sorry to ramble - any suggestions gratefully recieved. Thanks.

Hi Anonymous.
All fridge Freezers have an inherant Earth Leakage problem , mainly due (or Dew) to the combination or electricity and moisture. Your best solution is not to replace it but try and create a dedicated non RCD protected BUT identified circuit for it .Not easy i know.

Not an expert in these things but am a great believer in that if it worked beforehand its probably something to do with the defrosting. Maybe moisture built up in comp motor and fast freeze has worsened it. Maybe disconnect motor and check if L-e and N-e problem vanishes. Any more involved me thinks a frosty engineer is required...there can be nasty things in fridges;)

Reply to Faulty Freezer in the Electrical Appliances Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net