Discuss Faulty ring main in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

A

aaronstuart

Not great on fault finding, in fact hardly done any.

Problem is a ring main.

r1 = 1.10 ohms
r2 = 1.38 ohms
rn = 1000 ohms???????

All tests done at cu cables disconnected.
what's going to be the correct course of action to find fault?

Just go around and check wiring in back of sockets etc or could i link N/cpc of 1 leg and go round?

Help needed thanks:confused:

well for a start you may have a loose connection on your neutrals,but your r1,r2 values are out allso if you getting r1 =1.10 ohms your r2 should be around 1.83 ohms assuming cpc is 1.5 mm,if i was you i would start by taking all your sockets off and check connections.is it one ring for entire house.

old victorian house.
ring covers downstairs lounge.
another ring covers upstairs, loft and kitchen / new extension which was done last year.

all the certifcates that was issued were incorrect.......
wrong cable size, wrong fuses, lighting they had put 30ohms when there was no earth.....and all metal fittings and switches...
obviously informed customer and hopefully will sort it.

will remove all and check connections

i agree with paul -however the neutral is open and the r1 + r2 is far to high.all sockets off on that circuit checking for tightness.[you may come across the open neutral aswell as the loose connections in one socket]
the readings on average should be anywhwere between 0.22 -0.60[depending how many sockets]for r1/rn and 1.67 times higher foe cpc[1.5mm]
eg.0.30x1.67=0.50 add 0.30 then divide by 4=0.20-test at sockets to see if 0.20 is the reading approx you are getting.if not it could be spur on a spur or 2 rings [loop] on 1 ring main circuit.

Had the same on 2x ring finals Saturday at same property

Ring one (kitchen)
r1 670 (o/c when microwave & fridge unplugged)
traced to dissconnected line leg at socket in utillity room. Conductor had been stripped & folded back into the backbox.

ring two rest of house
r1 >800 (went o/c when all items unplugged off circuit)
Again same as other ring, line conductor stripped & folded back into the backbox.

Reconnected both & all was fine ring one r1 now at 0.42 & ring two now at 0.56

Sad thing is kitchen is a new circuit(installed when kitchen was fitted) & ring 2 was an extension of existing circuit, both were installed by a part P approved kitchen fitter from MFI back in January, no certs & customer said the 2 blokes that were doing the work didnt seem to have a clue & didnt come back to connect the 2x radial sockets in the lounge (connected at cu but terminal blocks wrapped in tape loose on floor).

Reply to Faulty ring main in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock