Discuss Faulty treadmill motor in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

J

j298

Hi all,
I have very little electrical understanding and I'm wondering if anyone can shed some light on a problem I'm having with the motor in a treadmill.
Here is a video of the problem... Broken treadmill motor - YouTube
I've asked the manufacturer for help and they supplied me with some new motor brushes (16mm) for £15, I've just fitted them and the problem remains.
As you can see in the video the spark seems to be at it's biggest when I put pressure on the belt.
I'm not sure if this is something I'm going to be able to fix myself, and if not I'm not really sure who I should take it to for help.
Any advice appreciated,
Thanks,
Joe

Brushes should be bedded to get the shape right for good allround contact before using on load
Take it to an armature winder or get another one

I know very little about motors,but expert opinions will come along

At a guess I would suspect some of the windings to be dead shorted,this could be the coils of the commutator causing it or the wear off the brushes bridging them
They can sometimes be salvaged by using a blade to clean out the segments undercutting the mica and give it a good cleaning but that may be a step too far

towards the end of the vid you can see that the armature is burnt out/open circuit on some of the windings, get a new armature or better still a replacement motor
this is just my opinion of course

Reply to Faulty treadmill motor in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

Hi - On our small vessel we have a 12v failry powerful motor to run the autopilot, where the power is supplied by the boat's battery bank. On an...
Replies
Views
I'm sorry if this isn't in the right place but this is my first time using this forum. I'm also sorry if i make some mistakes but I'm new to this...
Replies
Views
Hi, I have a project I have been working on, that has me out of my depth with regard to my knowledge, as I am a very basic electronic hobbies...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone :) my first post here. Quick background I'm a newly qualified installer of somewhat advanced years whose just starting out in the...
Replies
Views
Having to wire around a messed up output for a month or so. Some sort of program corruption is keeping the central lubrication system from...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock