Discuss FCU at boiler in the Central Heating Systems area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
My parents have have their boiler replaced but the plumbers have left the ageing controls in place.

I’m in the process of replacing the programmer etc and have found there are 2 fuses connection units. One is at the boiler, the second is at the programmer (which also isolated the boiler).

The boiler is in a different room.

Is there any reason to keep the second FCU at the boiler so long as I label the boiler to say where it can be isolated?

It’s not a bad idea to have an isolator at the boiler for isolation during routine maintenance.

It’s not a bad idea to have an isolator at the boiler for isolation during routine maintenance.

I can see that would be handy.

The plumbers haven’t wired the pump into the boiler so there is no over run and the pump runs when the programmer is calling even when there is no demand from a stat.

I as to swap the existing FCU for a 2 gang grid module with two flex outlets. So I can run a flex back to the pump and connect it to the boiler.

My parents have have their boiler replaced but the plumbers have left the ageing controls in place.

I’m in the process of replacing the programmer etc and have found there are 2 fuses connection units. One is at the boiler, the second is at the programmer (which also isolated the boiler).

The boiler is in a different room.

Is there any reason to keep the second FCU at the boiler so long as I label the boiler to say where it can be isolated?
the boiler should have a local isolation point

should be a single point of isolation , preferably local to the boiler.

single point of isolation..... OFF means all the heating system is dead and safe to work on. end of.

single point of isolation..... OFF means all the heating system is dead and safe to work on. end of.

That was my view, I’d rather have a single FCU that does everything rather than having 2.
[automerge]1599049991[/automerge]
Could surprise someone that.

My personal preference is to have one FCU that isolates everything pump, programmer, stats etc.

3 pole isolator at the boiler is an option but still think it’s likely to catch someone out that the stats are still live when they think they’ve isolated the boiler controls and in fact it’s just the boiler.

That was my view, I’d rather have a single FCU that does everything rather than having 2.
[automerge]1599049991[/automerge]

My personal preference is to have one FCU that isolates everything pump, programmer, stats etc.

3 pole isolator at the boiler is an option but still think it’s likely to catch someone out that the stats are still live when they think they’ve isolated the boiler controls and in fact it’s just the boiler.
the circumstance you describe you would then have to put in a new feed by the boiler and run new wiring back to cupboard

Just hypothesising here - surely more points of isolation introduces more potential for confusion as stated, both by homeowners and other trades?

I could understand the need in commercial where there's multiple controls, multiple room stats etc. But in a typical British house, if the main isolator is just a few meters away and labelled, is there an issue? It certainly keeps it simple.

In my arrangement the 3a fused FCU operating the entire HWS/CH is in the airing cupboard. A label on the side of the boiler states: "Isolator in Airing Cupboard"

boiler engineer thinks? contradiction in terms methinks.

You can’t say that ??

Just hypothesising here - surely more points of isolation introduces more potential for confusion as stated, both by homeowners and other trades?

I could understand the need in commercial where there's multiple controls, multiple room stats etc. But in a typical British house, if the main isolator is just a few meters away and labelled, is there an issue? It certainly keeps it simple.

In my arrangement the 3a fused FCU operating the entire HWS/CH is in the airing cupboard. A label on the side of the boiler states: "Isolator in Airing Cupboard"

That was my take on it to be honest, so long as it’s in a logical place and clearly labelled at both the programmer and boiler it seems safe.

I’ve looked at the gas safe regs and Can’t see anything saying the isolator needs to be within x feet of the boiler.

gas regs. also apparently say the gas must be bonded at the meter, even when the meter is outside and 20ft. of 10mm Gn/Y is run on the outside, from where the gas enters the building to the meter.

gas regs. also apparently say the gas must be bonded at the meter, even when the meter is outside and 20ft. of 10mm Gn/Y is run on the outside, from where the gas enters the building to the meter.

Gas regs day there must be a 10mm earth connected within 600mm of the meter and before the first T.

I’m currently going through the gas safe process and I’ve never seen a more obvious example of using training to tax people as this.

Reply to FCU at boiler in the Central Heating Systems area at ElectriciansForums.net