Discuss federal electric RCBO in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

James

-
Mentor
Esteemed
Arms
Supporter
Patron
Reaction score
anyone got one of these?
beer tokens will be provided!!
breaker.jpg
to fit one of these boards.
board.jpg
I really don't want to do a board change because i know when i start testing all the circuits i am going to be left with a massive can of worms.

32A
it is a RFC for sockets in an old butchers shop.
however, I would take anything within reason to get me out of doing a board change or adding a sub board!!

Is there a breaker on the board you could use to feed an rcd in a separate enclosure ? Rcd would also need to not be type AC for the rcd characteristics, so even if you could find one to fit that board it might not be suitable anyway, same goes for many rcd sockets which would be your other option provided suitable cable/routes were used so that the cable doesn’t need rcd protection

I am pretty sure they never made rcbos for that range and the ones fitted aren't strictly compatible they are for the previous style. As above fit a separate enclosure if you have space.

oh, poo!!
I was hoping to find a way to replace like for like, they have done just fine for the last 50 years, was hoping to replace it with a "new" one and not have to worry about it for another 25years when of course I will have retired and all electricity will be wireless by then anyway!!!

below is the response i was making to @Scintillam

In my opinion, it is a like for like replacement part to replace something that has failed.
its in a property 130 years old although I think it was rewired around the 70's
I do not want to change it to a modern board because of many issues that i am likely to come across with the wiring of the time being buried in walls, then over boarded with plastic sheets.
the building is unheated and washed down regularly so i know i am going to have a house of horrors if i start trying to upgrade anything to latest standards.

You will find one on eBay, Willrose Electrical who actually have new ones are out of stock. They do fit as the Stab Lok is the same and compatibility is due to the cover hence when the newer style mcbs are fitted to the older boards the cover has to be cut open.

I do not want to change it to a modern board because of many issues that i am likely to come across with the wiring of the time being buried in walls, then over boarded with plastic sheets.
the building is unheated and washed down regularly so i know i am going to have a house of horrors if i start trying to upgrade anything to latest standards.

There comes a point when an installation is only fit for replacement and you are repairing the previous repairs which were just holding it together for another year until it can be fixed properly, and that was 40 years ago.

If it really is that bad then you might just have to be the person who upsets the apple cart and tells the customer/duty holder the cold hard facts.

Just consider that whilst a repair may appear to you to be a 'like for like replacement just to keep it going' a judge and jury may see it very differently.

I understand where you are coming from @davesparks
infact, in other parts of the building I have taken that approach and surface mounted conduit to new sockets whilst blanking all the originals.
it is not impossible to to something similar again, however it is not the preferred option.

anyone got one of these?
Just to say they are available (used) on the well known auction site, but also new boxed 10A version if that would be of any use

Reply to federal electric RCBO in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net