Discuss Feed To Garage/Flat, Also Temp Feed To Workshop. in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

E

ElectronMike

Hello All.
When I started building my own house in 1985 the idea was to have one electric board supply cable feed our main house with a second supply fed to our garage/flat .
The electric board supplied the 200Amp single al core swa cable, I laid it to the house then another cable from the house to the garage/flat.
What we ended up was only using the main supply to the house (100Amp main fuse 80Amp meter).
Now I'm getting to the stage of fitting out the garage/flat I needed a permanent supply instead of the temp one.
Talking to our electric supplier and asking about a second meter/supply for the flat, after talking it through with them they said use that underground cable that goes to the flat and run it from our supply side and it will be cheaper in the long run.

From a 'Henley block' I will feed into a 100amp isolator > 63A mcb then use the above underground cable to the garage/flat.
At the garage/flat end (15M away) from the underground cable > 100Amp isolator > Henley block.
Then
One pair tails will feed the flat cu.
Another will feed the cu in the garage.
Another pair of tails will feed to an isolator and 40A mcb to a temp supply to my workshop via an underground plastic duct 40M long, (until I can put in a permanent feed to my workshop from another direction from my house.)
I have some 4mm single core Butyl cable and was thinking of putting in two pairs in parallel (joint capacity of 60A). then in the workshop >40A rccb > cu etc.
Comments please.
I will talk about earthing later because the auto saves has lost half of my post and it's late and must get to bed.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm an ex Derbyshire lad and I'm pulling the plug, I'm tired out!
You arranged the original supply, so why change it now?

Are you sure this supply cable is SWA cable?? I've personally not known any supplier using SWA cable?? You also say it's AL, at 200A that's going to be a pretty decent sized cable you have there ...lol!! I'm betting it's a single core cable with the neutral and earth forming what you think is the armour.... trouble is, i can't for the life of me remember the term used for this cable!! lol!! Old age is my only excuse!!! lol!!

Sounds like your getting a little bored since you got back to the land of the ''Ragheads'' and camels!! lol!!

Hope you enjoyed your short break with the family over Xmas, ....I bet you need to top up the coffers a little too, expensive ole time going back over the Xmas period from my past experience when the kids were still at home!! The ''Bank of Mum & Dad'' got a right bashing....lol!!!

Lol cheers mate ......................yes I got a call from Lloyds asking me did I know that it was customary for customers to deposit money to them and not the other way round, still has my lass tells me there has not been a shroud made yet that as pockets in it .....................

I saw that you stayed over there, so now that Christmas is out of the way, you'll be starting it all over again in a week or so with the Chinese New Year and it is the dragon I believe

I saw that you stayed over there, so now that Christmas is out of the way, you'll be starting it all over again in a week or so with the Chinese New Year and it is the dragon I believe

It's becoming increasing unlikely that i'll be getting back to Cyprus over the Chinese New Year I'm afraid!! The site will probably only close for 3 maybe 4 days. A lot of my work at the moment, is going over submittals for long ''lead time'' plant and equipment, such as the main distribution transformers, main MV/LV Switchboards, and full spec stand-by generators etc. Also quite a bit of the building services mechanical plant, with the Mechanical Engineer. So can't really see any chance before March at the earliest!!

But as i'm told, we'll be flown to Beijing for the company celebrations, staying at a 5* hotel for 3 day's!! ...lol!! To the Chinese, celebrating MEANS Eating, so i'll be starving myself for a few days before that little jint, or i'll be a fat bu**er by the time i get back!! ...lol!!

Oh, the Chinese New Year starts on 23rd of this month, so still another 18 days to go, and yes, it's the Year Of The Dragon this year, which is what i am too!! lol!!

Kung Hei Fat Choi, to you for the 23rd....lol!!

Sorry to the OP for straying away from the thread questions, ...back to the thread contents now!!!

I'm an ex Derbyshire lad and I'm pulling the plug, I'm tired out!
You arranged the original supply, so why change it now?

I,m in South-Derbyshire, I'm not changing the 'Original supply' going to use the spare cable that they gave me that they were going to connect to feed another meter in the flat, but the costs are too much so they suggested to hook cable up to my side of the meter to feed the flat.

Are you sure this supply cable is SWA cable?? I've personally not known any supplier using SWA cable?? You also say it's AL, at 200A that's going to be a pretty decent sized cable you have there ...lol!! I'm betting it's a single core cable with the neutral and earth forming what you think is the armour.... trouble is, i can't for the life of me remember the term used for this cable!! lol!! Old age is my only excuse!!! lol!!

Your are correct, it's not SWA.
I took the tape off the two ends today and connected it up to the 100A isolators at each end.
It's Al core for live and Cu outer for neutral.

QUOTE....The electric board supplied the 200Amp single al core swa cable, I laid it to the house then another cable from the house to the garage/flat.

As a matter of interest, what makes you think this concentric cable is rated at 200A?? Personally i would doubt that very much, especially as it was only taken to a single point then extended to the other location. Separate metering normally means separate supplies. Most single phase cut-outs are only rated at 100A that includes internal connection blocks also. So doubtful they were going to daisy chain off of the house cut-out too supply another possible 100A load/installation...

I'm still awaiting the earthing .....................I feel an export the earth discussion is in good order, just to start the year off:lol:
Very busy in the day building so only come on computer late in the day.

The main house was done to the 15th regs and uses a Earth Rod and also we have all the ring mains protected by rccb's.
Being the cable to garage/flat is only L&N I was thinking of another Earthing Rod and doing a 'TT' sytem also the same at the workshop end.
And what did I find in one of my sheds two brand new 'Furse' earthing rods and some 16 mil cable, that should be good enough ?..

QUOTE....The electric board supplied the 200Amp single al core swa cable, I laid it to the house then another cable from the house to the garage/flat.

As a matter of interest, what makes you think this concentric cable is rated at 200A?? Personally i would doubt that very much, especially as it was only taken to a single point then extended to the other location. Separate metering normally means separate supplies. Most single phase cut-outs are only rated at 100A that includes internal connection blocks also. So doubtful they were going to daisy chain off of the house cut-out too supply another possible 100A load/installation...

That's what the guy said who delivered it 200A .
But it only looks like 100A stuff to me as it's only about 20mm OD.
There original idea was when I was ready they were going to daisy it off the spare side of the 100A main cut out fuse.
We are talking 27 years ago.

Reply to Feed To Garage/Flat, Also Temp Feed To Workshop. in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net